Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission toast...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Transmission toast...again

I had my tranny rebuilt last year along with a new clutch assembly put in. Got it back from the shop and ended up having to replace the master with a Tick unit. Worked great for a week. Left a stop light and heard a pop. Had all kinds of vibrations coming through the clutch peddle, shop adjusted the master, which was not the issue, and sent me on my way. Told them it was still not right but they were going to charge me again to look into the problem. I was pissed needless to say.

After researching on this site and getting help from others, they mentioned that the vibration was probably caused by loose pressure plate bolts. Buddy and I dropped the tranny and sure enough 4 bolts were loose and two were about hand tight. Tightened them up, slapped it back in as everything looked fine. It worked decent for a few weeks with no vibration. Then the clutch pedal started sticking to the floor on hard runs and felt pretty spongy and shifting was fairly notchy. When the transmission was cold I would have to shift slowly into third and fourth otherwise it would grind. When warmed up everything is fine.

So that brings me to this weekend. Friday night I drove the car pretty hard around town, nothing out of the norm though. I shift into 4th and it grinds but goes in. So I go and park the car for the night. Yesterday I go to drive it. Shifting fine from 1-2-3, go to hit 4th and grinds and kicks back out at me. You can only imagine how happy I am when this happens. I take it back home to were it lays resting, hurt again.

My questions are this. When the tranny was rebuilt they replaced the 3-4 shift fork with a steel one. Could I have bent that somehow? I am still on the stock slave with 41k on it. Could that have been causing my issues before with the grinding on occasion? What are the symptoms of a dying slave? Would that cause a spongy pedal? Could the clutch be gone already when it has maybe 10k miles on it? It was a stock LS6 replacement, I know I know, that I did spray a 100 shot through recently a few times. I know that is more power than it can handle so I'm guessing the clutch could have gone, thus maybe killing the tranny again? Although it looked good when I had the tranny out a few weeks ago.

Suggestions on what could have happened? I know another rebuild is in my future here. I am going to do it right this time by sending it off somewhere like Tick, upgrading the slave, and to a clutch that can handle the power. This is depressing and probably my fault that it's killed again. Flame away if you wish, but please answer some questions on the way .
Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you need a good quality clutch (what do you have now) and a new/bled hyd. system. Nothing sounds hurt (yet!) inside the trans, but it will be if you keep driving it on that clutch/hyd setup..
Old 07-04-2010, 10:51 AM
9 Second Club

Currently it has a Luk Pro Gold clutch. Basically an LS6 clutch.

I am worried that the trans is hurt though. Last summer it did the same thing, only in third gear. If it was the hydraulic system wouldn't it grind in more than just one gear now? It has been fairly notchy at times and the occasional grinding when cold makes me believe the hydraulic assembly is bad. I just hope I didn't kill the trans again.

Thanks for the response.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RRZ28 I read your post seems that we both have very similiar problems with the clutch grinding occasionally....mine was doing that ....until today that is......... now my clutch wont disengage at all.... Im pretty sure the master cylinder is ok.....but the slave is probably shot! My understanding of the hydro clutch system is limited but there is not that much to learn. If the slave is going out then it occasionally will fail to push the clutch acctuator arm out far enough to release the clutch to make clean shifts, eventually it will fail and you wont be able to go into gear at all....this is just my opinion..Im still waiting to get confirmation on my post.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:20 AM
9 Second Club

Some added info that may be helpful...

Recently the clutch pedal would get very tough during the last part of the travel to the floor. This happened every so often which seemed to cause a problem with it engaging gears cleanly driving around normally. No grinding at all, just a notchy feel. Also, I assume failing hydraulics and/or a bad clutch assembly would cause the grinding when the transmission was cold correct?

Lastly, how easy is it to bend a steel shift fork? Obviously that would be worse case scenerio. I assume something else could be messed up in the trans besides the fork if that is ok.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Lastly, how easy is it to bend a steel shift fork? Obviously that would be worse case scenerio. I assume something else could be messed up in the trans besides the fork if that is ok.
Anything is possible, but chances of bending the steel shift fork are slim to none.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:51 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Anything is possible, but chances of bending the steel shift fork are slim to none.
Thanks again Mike. This car is really starting to become frustrating. It's one thing after another it seems like. I guess that's what happens when you start modding cars.

I am going to replace the slave for sure, and probably pick up a new clutch. Not sure if I should replace the clutch first though, or have the trans looked at again.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

I've heard from a several people about the LS6 clutch's sticking to the floor on a modded car. Couple locals had it happen where I live and I've read about it quite a bit on here also. It only seems to happen at higher rpm etc..

FWIW, I'd replace the slave cylinder when the trans is out. It's cheap insurance IMO.

Mike
Old 07-05-2010, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

A little update for you. I went out and started the car and rowed through the gears. Did not move it out of the garage. Went in all the gears just fine when I started from 1st and worked through them all. Now when I released the clutch while it was in neutral and tried to put it in 4th it went right in the first try. Tried it again, this time revving a little in neutral first, let the rpms drop back down, and bam, grinding instantly in 4th. Then there was a squeak coming from the trans area so I shut it off. Started back up, no squeak. Rowed through the gears just fine again. Then went to neutral and tried 4th, instant grind for a split second so I threw it back in neutral. I am guessing this means something is messed up in there.

I then wondered if it was going to act like it did when 3rd went last summer. When 3rd went I could get it in gear going from any other gear first, then to 3rd, not moving of course. However if I let out the clutch a little in third, like I was trying to start in third gear, it would pop out. I tried this today in 4th just to see if it would pop out of gear and it didn't. It grabbed just fine. So it will get in 4th and stay there, but grinds while doing so if I am moving or going straight from neutral to 4th.

If any of that makes any sense please let me know your thoughts. Something seems to be messed up in the trans again.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM
9 Second Club

Back up. Any opinions on what may be messed up in the trans? I am going to drop the trans this week and hopefully get it tore down with the help of a buddy.

What all could cause it to grind going into fourth? Synchros? Sliders? I will be replacing the slave and clutch assembly (again) as well. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having this same problem.... maybe someone could shed some light, I also have a sticky pedal sticks about 3/4s the way up... and grinds fourth unless im really easy on it... slave? master? clutch? fluid is really dirty, I need to change that as well.. and bleed the system... but other then that, what do you guys think?