Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

reduce T56 gear noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default reduce T56 gear noise?

I just installed my T56 that was in my 01 Camaro into my Silverado today. The transmission is not making what I would consider "abnormal" noise and I'm sure most of it will go away when I put the insulation and carpeting back in, however I'd like to see if anyone has found ways to reduce the noise of the tranny.

I'm using GM syncromesh fluid (always have since first change at 10,000 miles... has about 50,000 on it now) and it has always been full (never been run low).

The noise is most prominent on deceleration and is in all gears (1st - 6th and even reverse). Pick a gear, driving along, if I let off the gas the "whine/growl/weeer" kicks in (the actual noise is hard to explain exactly but it sounds very close to what the transmission in my Jet lathe sounds like ). If I just set the gas at constant load, much of the noise drops off. Under WOT, the noise comes back (though not quite as loud as under deceleration).

As I said, not concerned.... just poking around to see if anyone has found a solution.

Thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: reduce T56 gear noise?