Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

replacing CTS-v slave, can I use fbody slave?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing CTS-v slave, can I use fbody slave?

I have a 90 rx7 I am using the tranny on my ls1/ws6 swap. I am using the cts-v clutch/pp/dual mass flywheel and fabbed up a mount for the shifter and am using the pliot bushing instead of the bearing.

I got it all together and went to bleed the clutch and summa ma bich, fluid leaking from the slave...

Also how the hell do you replace it. Looks like you simply remove the two 10mm bolts and pry but i couldnt get it off....
Old 07-25-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

When you take the two bolts off the slave should just slide off the input shaft. Shouldn't have to pry. I cant say for certain that the f-body slave and the V slave are the same length but they do have different type of quick disconnects. Is the trans out of a CTS-V or an f-body? If you are using a V bell housing and transmission you need the bearing and not the bushing because the Vs input shaft is shorter.

Also, why in the world do you want to install a CTS-V dual mass flywheel? I would trash that thing and put a single mass in.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Teching In

well I would but was under the impression nothing else would work because the dual mass is so much thicker. I have seem to read about some sort of spacer that allows you to use any other setup.

The trans is out of a CTS-v. I did but the bushing and not the bearing in. Later on down the road I will put a nice clutch in.

Now I just need to find another slave or a way to use the FBody one, even if I need a spacer.

it is the difference on spending 60 bucks for an fbody one with a spacer or $220 for the cts-v one.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...TSv-GTO-slave/

I did some comparison measurements last year and the slave's throw is the same, only the hookups are different. If you have the CTSv front plate on the T56, you'll have to grind on the bottom opening for the quick-connect fitting, otherwise you should be ok..
Old 07-26-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

You need to measure and make sure the input shaft reaches that bushing. The input shaft is about a half inch short and needs the bearing for support.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Also, you can put just about any clutch in there, you just need to measure the distance for the slave. I run an Exedy Hyper twin and an LS7slave and it works great.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Ok guys I got the slave and see where people could say it is not interchangeable and in my case they are.

I am using this for my rx7 and not using the cts-v master cylinder with it's funny connections. I will however have to dump the custom line I had made with the fittings to work the CTS-v slave and the wilwood MC.

I will have to a wee bit of drilling/wallering out on the bell housing to get it in but it is other wise fine.

I will have to pull of the bleeder screw and the quick connect, put the slave in and reinstall it from the hole once the slave is in place.

It measures almost exactly the same, and I am using the pilot bushing, not the smaller pilot bearing for this tranny because the shaft is half an inch shorter.

So the verdict is clear, the fbody slave will work on a stock cts-v setup with some work on a swap project line mine.

I saw most cts-v guys do the ls7 clutch swap which I will do eventually or a twin disk with lightweight flywheel.

Quick Reply: replacing CTS-v slave, can I use fbody slave?