Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Shifter install, some pics and thoughts so far...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is those pics ^^ pics of the pro 5.0 or the mgw shifter?
Old 10-02-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's my Pro5.0 shifter, but the cutout for the MGW shifter will be in the same location , just a different shape.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
That's my Pro5.0 shifter, but the cutout for the MGW shifter will be in the same location , just a different shape.
how do you like your pro 5.0? im thinking about getting one because the mgw doesn't have the stopping bolts, does yours have that centering problem when its in neutral people always talk about?

thanks, toua
Old 10-05-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OMGls1jz
how do you like your pro 5.0? im thinking about getting one because the mgw doesn't have the stopping bolts, does yours have that centering problem when its in neutral people always talk about?

thanks, toua
Mine started having a little bit of a centering problem about 1yr ago, but it's probably because I've had the shifter in my car for 10yrs, so the springs in the shifter are probably shot!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I went from the Pro 5.0 to the MGW, the MGW tromps the Pro 5.0.

After driving a Cobra with a MGW, I decided I wanted to try it out, so I bought one and installed it (I bought mine with the stick that had the thread patterns for the Cobra **** already). After installing it, I realized how notchy and un-smooth the Pro 5.0 was.

I think you're used to the stock shifter so much that the MGW, seeing as it has a smaller shift pattern is throwing you off. You'll get used to it. I loved the MGW, never missed shifts and always knew when I was in gear.

However, recently bought a Hurst Competition Billet shifter (polished HURST stick and black ball) and I will never go back to the MGW or Pro 5.0. The overall feel, smoothness and just plain up sexiness of the way it looks tops the Pro 5.0 by a mile, and the only reason I'd use the MGW would be because I loved the look of the Cobra ****.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Mine started having a little bit of a centering problem about 1yr ago, but it's probably because I've had the shifter in my car for 10yrs, so the springs in the shifter are probably shot!
Originally Posted by tbird31
I went from the Pro 5.0 to the MGW, the MGW tromps the Pro 5.0.

After driving a Cobra with a MGW, I decided I wanted to try it out, so I bought one and installed it (I bought mine with the stick that had the thread patterns for the Cobra **** already). After installing it, I realized how notchy and un-smooth the Pro 5.0 was.

I think you're used to the stock shifter so much that the MGW, seeing as it has a smaller shift pattern is throwing you off. You'll get used to it. I loved the MGW, never missed shifts and always knew when I was in gear.

However, recently bought a Hurst Competition Billet shifter (polished HURST stick and black ball) and I will never go back to the MGW or Pro 5.0. The overall feel, smoothness and just plain up sexiness of the way it looks tops the Pro 5.0 by a mile, and the only reason I'd use the MGW would be because I loved the look of the Cobra ****.
hmmm... ok thanks for the input but i wanted to get a shifter with bump stops because i've been told they help but now after some searching people say they are not necessary... so no i'm confused about the bump stops, if any one wants to add any advice go ahead
Old 10-11-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump stops arent needed UNLESS you are powershifting the trans. It will destroy the internal ones after a while and that is why when guys get a T56 rebuilt, they get replaced.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Bump stops arent needed UNLESS you are powershifting the trans. It will destroy the internal ones after a while and that is why when guys get a T56 rebuilt, they get replaced.
i will be powershifting my t56 so that is going to help prolong the life of the internal stops? how does the external stops hurt the internal stops?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you read my reply wrong. External bump stops would be wanted if you are going to powershift the car often.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bballr4567
I think you read my reply wrong. External bump stops would be wanted if you are going to powershift the car often.
oh.... ok, sorry i reread it. now i understand
Old 11-19-2010, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

My right shoulder is KILLING me!

I just spent my first full day driving since I installed my MGW last week. I installed it at the same time I put in my EPS baby cam. So I have just been going on short drives with the new valve train, and waiting for the tune. On the short drives I LOVED the new, tight, low profile shift. But...

Today I spent 7 hours driving, including running around with the tuner and his laptop. Like others, the stiff spring kept making me hit 4th, instead of 6th, unless I really paid attention. And now my shoulder is sore!
I don't know if it's the shifter that gets "broken in" or the shoulder muscle that gets built up!

Last edited by Paul 1953; 11-20-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
I'm definitely getting used to it.. the ONLY bad thing I keep doing is after driving hard in 4th or even 5th liek last night when a guy in a silver AMG (didnt see what #.. sl, cl blah blah) and I topped 4th went to 5th and when I passed him and let off I went to go into 6th to settle down VROOOOM the ******* thing keeps hitting 4th gear. luckily I didnt just pop the clutch out as soon as I hear the rpms I pull it out and then force it into 6th.

I'm going to ask MGW if they have slightly taller rods. the super short height will only require more effort and make it harder going into gear. I may also loosen the bracket and rotate the lever to 8 o'clock instead of 9 o'clock where its set to bring it closer to me
I just put mine back in today (was going to sell). I ask them about a higher stick and they said now (I am sure they could CNC one but $$). I was able to get mine up 1/2 inch my not lowering the stick all the way into the shifter clamp and oddly enough you can tell the difference.

I don't get what some say bout 1st feeling like 3rd. I never noticed that. I drove around 30 miles today after the reinstall and forgot how good this shifter is. I think I need a few hundred more miles on it to for it to loosen up a bit. I will never go back.............great product. Now I got to order a custom shorter shift boot
Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

I just received my MGW shifter, nice looking unit. Question though, is there a gasket needed between the bottom of the shifter and the top of the trans? Or just the RTV that came with the shifter?

I'm converting my T56 from GTO spec to work in my swap. I din't remember a gasket under the old shifter. But it's long gone now.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RTV is all you'll need.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks
Old 12-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Does the #6 boot fit the mgw shifter without being modified?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AwesomeChump
Does the #6 boot fit the mgw shifter without being modified?
Yes and no. Fits, but for me makes the return from 5-6 to 3-4 slower and sometimes needs a slight push.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Is there a certain area that you can cut it to make it fit better?
Old 02-23-2012, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

LOVE my mgw, havent gotten to the 500 mile mark yet its a lil tough but feels so solid from shift to shift, i even had the rod cut down at the lil perferation mark, its perfect height for me now-awesome well made piece im real happy with it
Old 02-27-2012, 04:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AwesomeChump
Is there a certain area that you can cut it to make it fit better?
BTT! I cut a hole the size of a quarter in the boot and then sandwiched it between the orange bracket and the top of the shifter. Has anyone cut it enough to slide over the whole shifter with any success or improvement in shifts?

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter install, some pics and thoughts so far...