Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dreaded "car won't start after swap" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dreaded "car won't start after swap" thread

Well I thought I was smarter than what I was workin with, but apparently the Camaro came out on top.

Just swapped my 4l60 for a t56 setup. Everything is installed, and all wired up.

HOWEVER. When I turn on the ignition, car is fine, go to start it (clutch depressed) I get nothing, and the "Security" light is always on.

Notes:
-I used the orginal 2002 auto harness
-I spliced these wires:
1)Purple w/white stripe + Dark green-----------> Neutral safety switch
2)Orange w/blk stripe + Blk w/ wht stripe ----> Spliced together
3)Light green + Brown-----------> New reverse lights pigtail
4)White from main tranny plug ----> 2.2k, 1/2 ohm resistor ------>Pink from rear O2 harness (skip shift stuff)

I did remove my ignintion switch to get the park cable out, but put it back (out of adjustment?)

Well I'm stumped, unless i completely forgot to wire something. Any feedback is appreciated.....
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the security light does not go out then "VATS" may be disabling it. Get under the steering wheel and make sure that all of the connectors are connected. The Vats is a small connection with two wires (which I believe are green and purple).
Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try just connecting the two wires for the clutch safety switch together, maybe the switch is bad. I did the wiring exactly the same minus the reverse lockout and it works fine. Try unplugging that too just to rule it out. I would bet it had something to do with removing the ignition though
Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What kind of car is it in?

Did you change the PCM to remove VATS and tell it the auto isn't there any longer? Some of the wires that run the shift solenoids do different functions (reverse lockout, skip shift, etc.) on a T56. It's a wild guess but it could be part of the confusion.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
What kind of car is it in?

Did you change the PCM to remove VATS and tell it the auto isn't there any longer? Some of the wires that run the shift solenoids do different functions (reverse lockout, skip shift, etc.) on a T56. It's a wild guess but it could be part of the confusion.
Damn good question. I just assumed that the PCM was flashed for a M6 car.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car was an auto, and is still running an auto tune. I'll double check, but i spent alot of time under the dash, and I'm pretty sure everything is connected. I'll also connect the two clutch sensor wires together, but the sensor has a 99% chace of being good because i bought it brand new from the dealer.

Thanks for the input, I'll try above mentioned things and get back to you if I still need to.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
The car was an auto, and is still running an auto tune. I'll double check, but i spent alot of time under the dash, and I'm pretty sure everything is connected. I'll also connect the two clutch sensor wires together, but the sensor has a 99% chace of being good because i bought it brand new from the dealer.

Thanks for the input, I'll try above mentioned things and get back to you if I still need to.
PCM needs to be flashed to a M6
Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ not to run. to get my car on the road I connected the two wires for the clutch safety switch together and drove it for weeks before finishing everything else up and flashing it to the M6 tune.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
^^^ not to run. to get my car on the road I connected the two wires for the clutch safety switch together and drove it for weeks before finishing everything else up and flashing it to the M6 tune.
Well I guess not.

I flashed mine before starting it but i had a **** ton of work done.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not need M6 tune to start and run it. You need to look at vats if the security light stays on. I would consider disconnecting all the other wires and just twist the purple and dark green together to make sure you didn't ground something out by accident. My first time doing that swap I accidentally un-hooked the ignition switch from the top of the column and it took me like 3 days to find it.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it turns out it was the ignition switch. When I put it back in, I failed to adjust it correctly. Once I fixed this, the car fired right up. I knew it had to be something stupid, i was just frustrated.

Thanks for all the timely support and advice!

Can't wait to be grabbin gears again!

Quick Reply: Dreaded "car won't start after swap" thread