Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Master Leaking

Old 09-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick Master Leaking

So I've been battling my hydraulic clutch system for over a year now, replaced every part, but it still wasn't working. I replaced my stock master cylinder with a Tick master cylinder and it worked wonders... for about 25 miles. Some part of the master cylinder leaked, I lost all my brake fluid and drove a mile home without a clutch pedal. I just finished bleeding the system and I can now drive my car again. Now it's not leaking out dramatically, but the reservoir drops about an 1/8th of an inch for every half mile I drive. Are there any weak spots on the Tick that I can take a look at to make sure no brake fluid is seeping out?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

oh hell i better check mine !!!!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feel around the fitting for the line to the slave for moisture. Mine leaked and all it took was a fraction of a turn more on that fitting to fix my leak. I had seen a thread on this before that clued me.

I installed mine about a month ago as part of a motor replacement and found a small puddle of fluid under the master a week or so later.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1madss
Feel around the fitting for the line to the slave for moisture. Mine leaked and all it took was a fraction of a turn more on that fitting to fix my leak. I had seen a thread on this before that clued me.

I installed mine about a month ago as part of a motor replacement and found a small puddle of fluid under the master a week or so later.
Yeah, there was a puddle about a couple hours later. And which part am I supposed to tighten? I couldn't get any wrenches down there and I was unable to hand-tighten them any more.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a quote from Jonathan with Tick from another post:

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
Theres a blue earls fitting that screws to the end of the master than can be tightened with an 11/16" wrench. Then a braided -4 line screws to that and can be tighened with a 9/16" wrench.
I tighten them all before they leave so they are positioned correctly (on the f-bodies). Theres a chance it could have been broken lose when installed....
I was going to try and take a pic, but the wiring harness is blocking the fittings that I want to show. I was able to get a standard combo wrench in on the fittings just enough to turn them a fraction of a turn, but it looks to have been enough.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1madss
Here is a quote from Jonathan with Tick from another post:

I was going to try and take a pic, but the wiring harness is blocking the fittings that I want to show. I was able to get a standard combo wrench in on the fittings just enough to turn them a fraction of a turn, but it looks to have been enough.
Okay, this is exactly what I wanted to know. I know which bolts those are, but i just need to find the right size wrench that is also small enough to squeeze in there. I'll try it out when I get off work.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Launching!

So I finally got around to checking those fittings. The blue fitting was snug, but I got another turn tighter with an 11/16", as you guys said, and after thoroughly thrashing my clutch I can safely say that fixed the leak. Thanks guys!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to hear about the issue you had - glad you got it fixed though.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Joey@Tick
I hate to hear about the issue you had - glad you got it fixed though.

Hate to dig up a post, but have the same issue, Installed today and tried to bleed only to find it would leak and suck a large amount of air from that fitting into the tilton unit when applying a vacuum. The fitting that seems snug, but never tightens??? at first I thought it was just that loose but after what seemed like the 2nd turn I realized the fitting probably has bad threads? Can't really put too much leverage on it in the car so I doubt I was the one that stripped it, but my only hope is that the body of that tilton is steel and now all I need is a fitting. I'll be calling Monday morning to see what can be done.

I'm pretty upset because I am one person doing this and to get all that way after an hour to find a bad fitting is not how I wanted to spend my afternoon.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

...another option

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...t/model/camaro
Old 12-17-2017, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
I just bought this one and I'm pretty sure all I need is that blue fitting. If it comes to it and I just dropped 330 on a paper weight, I'll look at other options, but hopefully Tick can help me out here.

Just troubling that it looked like this one was assembled pretty quickly and not run through QC. I should have tested it before I put it in. I did block off the res feed and push the rod and heard the air leak before I put it in. I just thought it was me not being able to hold the air back. I didn't have to muscle anything in either so that line did not get loosened that way. I pulled the line and fitting and the threads on that fitting failed. not galled or stripped, but snapped off clean and running around in there like fingernails. Reached out to Tick and will hopefully get a resolution this coming week.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Tick to the rescue. New fitting on the way, so hope this one seals in the master cylinder.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Well, yesterday the team at Tick asked I remove the whole thing and send it back to make sure nothing else was damaged. They turned it around and I'll have the replacement tomorrow.

Excellent customer service!
Old 12-21-2017, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

No show on the part. Tracking number shows it never was scanned, therefore there is no tracking info for it. So holding out hope it is just caught in the holiday shipping mix and will eventually show up but my talk with Tick's shipping dept didn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy if it doesn't.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Update. Shout out to Joey and Eric at Tick for taking care of me and getting a unit out to me next day this Saturday! New unit arrived, installed, but I think my issue is clutch or trans related.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tick Master Leaking