Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Can't shift into 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T-56 Can't shift into 3rd

I have a 2000 t/a with the t-56 and have had it for around a month now. The car has approx 104k miles on it so I'm assuming the trans is the same (don't know of any work or replacement).

Since I bought the car I've had what seems to be the typical problem going into Reverse, but as of tonight (started on my way home, the trip started fine), I can't shift into 3rd at all. 1st is a struggle and multiple tries, and I haven't been able to try 5th. Reverse is worse than it was before, but still doable after some work. Just lots of grinding and the gear not engaging.

I did a quick scan to see if I could find anything and it seems to be pointing to maybe a linkage problem since it is all of the gears at the top of the pattern. 2nd, 4th, and I'm assuming 6th are all fine.

Please tell me the trans isn't bad and it's something a couple hundred bucks or LESS can fix.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

face it, its rebuild time
Old 10-03-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

trouble with multiple gears is more likely a clutch concern. 3rd gear(#4th) issues are well documented= shift fork wear.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by calhoon
trouble with multiple gears is more likely a clutch concern. 3rd gear(#4th) issues are well documented= shift fork wear.
Can you shift it into reverse when the car is turned off. If you can it is your clutch. That doesn't mean that your transmission is in good shape either.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calhoon
I was thinking about this as well, but the fact that it was only the top gears in the pattern had me hoping for a shifter problem.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found the problem. The the stop-bolt on the front of the shifter had vibrated loose and slid down towards the shifter, preventing the handle from going all the way up. The change in distance wasn't really noticed because I was still getting used to the shorter throw anyway.

Thanks for all your help guys, and try to pass this on to anyone with a similar problem. Saved me a lot of money to hear about it before I took it to the shop.

Quick Reply: T-56 Can't shift into 3rd