Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

brass shifter cup question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default brass shifter cup question

So I stuck one of those brass shifter cups in today. I also changed the fluid from B&M non-syn. trick shift to Synchromesh.

Its hard to move the shifter to reverse now? Is this normal, a side effect of the shifter cup? I don't have to hulk it in, but there sure is some force to overcome to the right side to get up into reverse.

Took it for a quick spin, like it so far! I had no problems taking the plastic one out, as well it had worked itself out! Came right out with the shifter, no wonder this thing has felt sloppy for awhile.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did the bronze cup slip in easy, or did you RTV it in? The one's I've done have almost been press-fit and I've pulled the offset lever out to install the bronze cup on the bench..

I would say that your rev blocker ring is probably worn, and the fluid change has made it show itself. You might want to go back to a good quality dexIII non-synth and give it another test..
Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RTV? It didn't go in very easily. I put a folded up shop rag under the lever to keep potential debris from getting in the transmission and whacked it in with a block of wood and hammer.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a bronze shifter cup and hurst billet in my car at the same time, and i noticed it was a bit harder to get in reverse. not sure which is to blame.

fluid is valvoline dex III. not too many miles.

Quick Reply: brass shifter cup question