Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default McLeod Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit

Well, I didn't get any help in the LT1 section, so maybe I'll find more here. I have a McLeod MC in my 97 T/A. It's part # MCL-139001 (bought off Summit). Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the same one that you LS1 guys use, right?

Well, I've been having a sticking clutch pedal, so I pulled the MC apart and found a small chunk missing from the cup seal. I found this rebuild kit on Thunder Racing:

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...inder_295.html

Is this the correct kit for my MC? I bought mine in October 2008, so it should be the second generation I think. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send it in and we can rebuild it here. The version Thunder is selling is for the first gen masters.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately, this is my DD, and I don't have the original stock one. Is there any way you can send me a rebuild kit and let me do it myself? I tried calling your tech line, but nobody ever answers. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Unfortunately, this is my DD, and I don't have the original stock one. Is there any way you can send me a rebuild kit and let me do it myself? I tried calling your tech line, but nobody ever answers. Thanks.
Sorry for not answering the phone yesterday I was in a company meeting yesterday for a better half of the day. Before I send the seal kit can you identify on the rubber boot if it says CNC or nothing at all?
Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, no problem about the phone. And I just checked the boot, and it says nothing at all on it. Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:11 PM
FormerVendor

Send me a PM of your name and shipping address and I'll get one out to you.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE!

I talked to Billy M, and he sent me a rebuild kit, FREE OF CHARGE! Just got it in the mail today, and rushed to install it. Got the hydraulics all bled, and she shifts like butter again.

Here's everything they sent me. I have no idea what the 2 o-rings are (possibly for the slave?):

Here you can see the new (left) and old (right) piston assembly. Notice the top cup seal of the old piston, that little nick in it. I also noticed that the new piston seal seems to be a slightly different design. The old one had an hourglass shape, the new one is more of a V shape.

And for any of you that have to do this in the future, it is really easy to take apart. Just pop the boot off, and underneath you'll see a snap ring:

Use some snap ring pliers on it, and everything practically falls out. Again, a big thanks to McLeod for helping me out!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Can you post a number for billy? I got the same dilemma
Old 03-30-2012, 03:57 PM
FormerVendor

Rebuild kit is a Wilwood p/n 260-5921.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since this thread came back up, I thought I'd provide another update. After I rebuilt the MC, it lasted great for about 200 miles, then did the same thing. I opened it back up only to find a ripped seal AGAIN. I believe this was due to a defect on the bore wall.

However, McLeod replaced it for free under warranty with their updated Wilwood-built MC. No issues with that yet.

Overall, I'm very happy with their customer service.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rebuilt mine last yr (spring inside broke) and ever since then ive had inconsitant engagement and no matter which way i bleed it, it leaks all over the floor. Which was an issue prior as well. I dont know if i want to pull it apart again if its going to do the same thing.

Quick Reply: McLeod Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit