Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Next clutch after LS7...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Next clutch after LS7...

The last time I had to replace the clutch in my car, I put the LS7 clutch and LS2 flywheel in there. I'm finishing up a heads/cam/intake/fuel/etc. install and am starting to wonder if the LS7 will hold.

If I do need a new clutch, would I need to just order a clutch kit for an LS2 GTO? Or do I need to/should I go back to an LS1 flywheel and clutch?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're worried about the LS7 clutch being able to stand up to your engine, then the LS1 clutch shouldn't even be considered an option.

I've seen an LS7 clutch on an '05 GTO with heads/cam take a beating on the dragstrip without failing.

To my thinking, the next step beyond the LS7 clutch is either a twin disc or one of the single-disc puck types.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't mean a stock LS1 clutch, I meant a stock style, as in one that would require going back to an LS1 specific flywheel.

Basically, my question should have been: If the car has an LS2 style aftermarket flywheel in it now, should I just go for an LS2 performance clutch, or swap back to an LS1 style aftermarket flywheel and clutch?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, makes no sense to go backwards with an LS1 setup. If you go with another LS7kit, don't buy the GTO flywheel...it's different and won't work with the clutch. You need the LS2/LS7 flywheel for a C6 Vette. How much HP do plan on making after the upgrades?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hit up Jason at TDP, His stage 1 is better than the ls7 and the stage2 is rated at 600+hp. He has the best prices and package deals, he has a lightweight flywheel and also has remote bleeders. If you need something stronger he also has a stage3.
He is a sponor here:
Texas Drivetrain Performance
Fort Worth, TX 76177
Email: txdrivetrain@hotmail.com
Phone: 817-300-6840
Shop Website: http://www.texasdrivetrainperformance.com/t56.html T56 rebuilds starting at $540!
Clutch Website: www.diamondclutch.com Clutch kits starting at $369!

Here is a link to comments on his stage 2 and 3 setups...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...-you-like.html
Old 10-12-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy had clutch issues after he got his MS4/PRC combo tuned. He was slipping like crazy. I have a McLeod single, so you know who I'd vote for..
Old 10-12-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I would stay with the ls7 unless you are doing alot of passes with a very sticky tire.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Keep in mind, a good clutch kit for the LS7/2 y-body flywheel will cost more than an LS1 style. I'd go back to an LS1 style like a monster, diamond, or textralia. Flywheel is much lighter and it will stick better.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

I say leave the LS7. Mine is holding up. For the $$ its a great clutch.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

keep ls7 till it breaks! If it isnt broke dont **** with it its simple! i have 47k on mine still good.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

Default clutch

I have searched for 6 hours for an answer to this same question, I know its an old post but why do people not understand what we are asking? I think too many people have the work done or dont care if they are in debt forever and just install all new parts no matter what! My LS7 clutch holds great on the street but the 1st launch at the track with just nitto 555xr's i had slipping and slipped after 2nd,3rd. I have 40k miles on it and holding great until the track and im only full bollton,4.10's,nitto 555xr's and cant go better than 13.0 @109mph with 2.4 60' and no spinning. The flywheel still has mill lines on the face but the disk is down to the rivots. I would really like to know if i can just install a C6 ls2 ACT,spec stg 3 or RAM HD etc. to bolt up to my existing c6 ls2 flywheel on my LS1 since those are around $450 for p/p and disk. Whoever said the ls1 clutches are cheaper is wrong, they are all within $30. Why go back to LS1 setup and spend $250 more for flywheel if the other option is possible? I really would like to know if there is a reason that us LS7 clutch kit guys cant just go with aftermarket clutch kits for the flywheel in the ls7 kit after the ls7 disk is toast! I'd ratgher afford a tick adj master if i can use my flywheel.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:13 AM
11 Second Club

If you wanna use your existing flywheel then by all means go ahead. Most if not all people just order a new flywheel because of balancing issues and measurements. If you use your LS2 fw youll need to measure for a shim size on the slave so that engagement will be right. The clutch kits are all pretty much the same, but the flywheels differ. A vette flywheel is different than the gto or fbody and I believe the ls2 fw has some dowels that have to be removed in order to work properly. Meaning an gto and fbody fw is relatively the same. An ls2 vette is different iirc. I prefer spec and you can have a full stage 3 setup from them for $650ish. I got 32k out of mine with countless 6k rpm track launches. I noticed a vibration prior to pulling it and it was pretty thin so I assumed the balance was off due to loss off material use. New clutch took away all the vibration so I think my assumption was correct. Hope I was able to somewhat answer your question.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, I guess I really was just wondering if anyone has ever used a aftermarket LS2 c6 clutch kit with the OEM c6 ls2 flywheel that came with the LS7 clutch kits to work with the LS1 engine. I just hate to buy a new flywheel because this LS2 c6 flywheel isn't even wore down .005'' yet and its got over 40k miles on it. I did measure for slave travel and I needed a .060'' shim and wasn't able to shim it at all since I had to go back to work the next day and didnt have another car at the time. Thats prolly why the disk is wore and the flywheel is like new. I will prolly just go with a LS1 flywheel again since the lighter weight seemed easier on the 10 bolt, I am installing a comp 224/230 cam soon and spent all my money on supporting mods/suspension and I need to save for tuning and now I need a clutch and really I need a tick master also. It's just that it takes me a couple months to just save $500 and thats if things dont come up so I dont know how I will get a clutch I need like the monster stg2 or whatever and I will never try a spec clutch again after how shitty the service was after my spec clutch turned to sludge after 1500miles and never seen the track.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well my Ls7 didn't stand up to a sticky tire. Went with a McCleod Street twin but overheated and burned the crap out of it so I have the RXT McCleod in the car now. Lot lighter feel then the Street but it has a bit of a grab. Haven't tried this clutch on a sticky tire yet so that will be the kicker.

Quick Reply: Next clutch after LS7...