Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Looking for clutch recommendations for my setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for clutch recommendations for my setup?

Been looking at both Monster and Spec. I have a Spec 3 now. I mostly daily drive the vehicle. Does not see track but maybe once or twice a year. Im running 8 psi and put down around mid 500's. With my fully built 383 stroker, and rear mount tc78. Looking for a LVL with decent streetability as Ill be in it daily but Im not scared and am familar with puck style and heavy duty clutches. I just dont want it to slip when I do turn up boost and hit my goal of around 700-800. Any help would be appreciated as Im looking to order very soon. Also wondering if I go with monster. Being that Im turbo should I stick with the heavier flywheel here are the two options. 28lbs SFI certified billet steel flywheel or a 15lbs chromoly flywheel

Last edited by vipvegas; 10-24-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt anybody? Sure someone has experience with LVL's of Monster and Spec with my power goals.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

im running a spec 3+ and it slips on the dyno in 4th gear on a 150 shot but dyno guy said there will be no probs on the street. seem to be a good clutch so far
Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thinking about monster stage 5 as I've heard 4 isnt good for the street because of iron puck material. Also looking at Spec 4. Think TallyTA has a stg 6 in his street/track car. Sure he will chime in on its streetability
Old 10-25-2010, 05:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monster by far!

Give us a call and we'll get you taken care of.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

have you looked into going with a twin disk? Holding power through the roof and drives completely like stock
Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xRelapse13
have you looked into going with a twin disk? Holding power through the roof and drives completely like stock
Thats what i am looking into...
Old 10-25-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Havent given that much thought will start researching. This is really my first time in the 750hp range and being a manual. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Boosted 383 stroker for a DD, huh?
Might want to look into getting a twin disk. A Monster or Spec wont slip as well and are less street friendly.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Havent had much experience with twin disc and after numerous reads using the GREAT search feature. Im still a little lost, trying to stay right around a 1k or less, was hoping to be around the $7-800 mark, but Im unfamilar with the brands. Anybody close to same power with recommendations?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Internet Mechanic

Your on the ragged edge of MANY single disk clutches. IF you went to a big boy clutch you need to not SLIP it much, if at all, as most companies disk will go up in smoke. I would feel safe, if I had that set up with a twin disk as well since its DD. Your going to spend money, spend it once.

You get a high level Spec, Monster, or whomever, and kill that clutch your spending money twice and probably for the 2nd time even more! Nevermind the fact of potentially killing the trans which can happen.

IF your staying at your current level and even up 700ish you can do a Textraila OZ700 which is what I run and VERY much a streetable clutch. Get the Tick Perf. Master if you have not already.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been looking at twin's and have searched but a little torn between what people are having success with. Any input would be appreciated. If not looks like a Monster stg5 will be on the way or a Spec 3+.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

i wanted a twin disk but couldnt afford it

got a monster lvl 6. its pretty much an on/off switch but i dont really care thats how my spec 3 was. minimal chatter. no signs of slippage with about 20 passes and a ton of hard street runs, only about 1500-2000 miles on it. killed my spec 3 after i believe 6k miles and the first track trip since the turbo.

my only complaint was the pedal was VERY light and i prefer a stiffer pedal. this changed significantly after the tick adj master i installed this weekend after my stock adj master took a ****, now it feels great. i will say this, unless something drastic happens monster has a committed customer in me. after i expressed my concern about the light pedal pressure, they offered to swap it out for an 11" race clutch for no charge 6-7 months after i purchased it. the only reason i didnt is i didnt want to go through 4 months of break in again (i dont drive my car alot). i only expect about 8-10k miles outta my clutch with the way i drive (which is about 2-3 years) so if this one last this long ill be buying another.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have A monster 6 here. I love it, seen plenty of track time and good 60fts. NEVER has skipped a beat. Drives good. NO chatter now or even during break in. They have great customer service too; Steve has taken good care of me. Clutch only gets power shifted too. I also have always ran a Tick master.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Your on the ragged edge of MANY single disk clutches. IF you went to a big boy clutch you need to not SLIP it much, if at all, as most companies disk will go up in smoke. I would feel safe, if I had that set up with a twin disk as well since its DD. Your going to spend money, spend it once.

You get a high level Spec, Monster, or whomever, and kill that clutch your spending money twice and probably for the 2nd time even more! Nevermind the fact of potentially killing the trans which can happen.

IF your staying at your current level and even up 700ish you can do a Textraila OZ700 which is what I run and VERY much a streetable clutch. Get the Tick Perf. Master if you have not already.
A monster stage 3 will probably hold more power than an 0z 700. I cut multiple low 1.4' 60's on a monster 3 and 40 passes, and when it came out it still looked like new, did not wear hardly at all. The car went 10.95 on that clutch.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm biased..
Old 10-31-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've come to the conclusion there isn't a perfect company out there. And there has been both good and bad reviews about every company out there. Last year I was working at SEMA for a turbo company and worked in a booth next to the Fidanza guys. Long story short I called them and they hooked it up with there Twin Disc 7.6 Carbon set. From what I understand they will warranty this bad boy if I can toast it at my power levels and non harsh driving characteristics. My first choice before this offer, I was going with Spec 3+ (Thanks SPEC01 for all the help over the phone), or a Monster Stg. 5. I will post a review if this thing can hold my power on 15psi. I daily drive this vehicle, I dont really shift hard because I dont track it and with power on the street dont need to. I really drive alot of highway 2nd thru 5th action. Not to hard on my vehicle. Hopefully this review will help other people looking for cheaper twin disc solutions for daily drivers.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

I have had about every damn clutch company in mine, and thus far the Monster takes the cake. By FAR. Best customer service out there. Steve has went out of his way for me. Can't say any other company would do that.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can open your own thread and ask.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by BADD SS
A monster stage 3 will probably hold more power than an 0z 700. I cut multiple low 1.4' 60's on a monster 3 and 40 passes, and when it came out it still looked like new, did not wear hardly at all. The car went 10.95 on that clutch.
Unfortunately Moster has not been out long enough to prove that. Also the great part about the OZ700 is that it can be street driven and slipped unlike the majority of competitor clutches. Most high power spec'ed clutches can do exactly that, hold at the track. But you start street driving them and slipping them excessivly, that opens up a whole another issue of survivability.