Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter getting hot with tranny fluid smell..

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifter getting hot with tranny fluid smell..

Went on a trip this weekend to the texas mile and i noticed after about an hour or two of driving the shifter itself was warm to the touch and the base was even warmer. Also I could smell tranny fluid but there is no leaks.

Not sure how to fix this or if i even had a problem.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
Went on a trip this weekend to the texas mile and i noticed after about an hour or two of driving the shifter itself was warm to the touch and the base was even warmer. Also I could smell tranny fluid but there is no leaks.

Not sure how to fix this or if i even had a problem.
First thing I'd do is check the fluid level. It might have enough fluid for city driving but it might not be quite enough to keep the gears/bearings cool on a long trip. If you find that it's low on fluid I'd probably flush it out and replace with fresh fluid.

Mike
Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Agreed..

And FWIW, my shifter gets warm too. My buddy's Fox-Stang was like that too after a 500 mi trip we took with it this weekend from CT-PA and back. shifter was a bit warmer than usual.

I normally put a smidge bit more fluid in the trans than just barely up to the hole. I get it to pour out a little more and quickly stuff the plug back in.

I'm also thinking that there is no trans cooler, persay, other than the fins on the trans, so I'm thinking after a long drive, the fluid would get quite warm.

Quick Reply: Shifter getting hot with tranny fluid smell..