Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Third gen fbody a4 to m5(6?) Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Default Third gen fbody a4 to m5(6?) Swap?

Has anyone on here actually done the swap themselves on a third gen from the stock 700r4 to a stock 5 speed or a t56? I have an 86 irocz im going to build as a track car and well I dont want the auto for auto-x and road racing purposes. Just wondering what im looking at in parts and how labor intensive it is? If its as simple as cutting holes for the pedals and buying some mounts im golden but im not sure how much more than that I want to tackle.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
Has anyone on here actually done the swap themselves on a third gen from the stock 700r4 to a stock 5 speed or a t56? I have an 86 irocz im going to build as a track car and well I dont want the auto for auto-x and road racing purposes. Just wondering what im looking at in parts and how labor intensive it is? If its as simple as cutting holes for the pedals and buying some mounts im golden but im not sure how much more than that I want to tackle.
Going from auto to manual is fairly simple. The hardest apart is installing the pedals and cutting the clutch master cylinder hole correctly. The only issue you might run into is the speedo. You will have to do some trial and error to get the right speedo gear in the transmission. Also make sure you weld in a plate around the clutch master cylinder to reinforce the floor pan in that area sense it was not origianlly a manual transmission car it could crack and flex with the pressure from the clutch. Hope that helps.

Jeremy
Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
I have, as have hundreds of others.. www.thirdgen.org is your resource..
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
I have, as have hundreds of others.. www.thirdgen.org is your resource..
I agree with Mike 100%. TGO is the best source for all things 3rd gen. I should have mentioned that in my reply too.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Awesome, I forgot about tgo, I think i still have a username over there as a matter of fact lol. The car comes home this weekend!!

Quick Reply: Third gen fbody a4 to m5(6?) Swap?