Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6th Gear Blew Up...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6th Gear Blew Up...?

Long story short, Morris Motorsports rebuilt my transmission about a year ago, and (with my luck) the bearing in 6th gear blew up, trashing the *reverse* gear, the bearing, and tearing up the mainshaft...

Considering I've babied the car, ever since I got my tranmission back from Derrick, I'm still dumbfounded as to why this even happened? Mechanic said defective bearing, maybe???

I'm trying to get ahold of Derrick, but he's failed to answer my emails, return my phone calls, etc. I haven't lost my faith in him yet, but does anyone know whats up or how to get ahold of him? I'm hoping there's still a warranty with the job...

Otherwise, who knows where I can find T56 parts, cheap/reliable?

I can't be without my F-Body for much longer...

More than likely need, new bearings, new 6th gear, new mainshaft, any applicable kits for replacement...

Thanks..

'00 SS M6

Last edited by GothMetalForever; 11-07-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's actually Reverse that burned up.. It's not unheard of, but shouldn't happen with proper break in and maintaining correct fluid levels.

It's kinda hard to see in your pics (blurry) but is there a snap ring on the mainshaft, holding the synchro hub on (where the bronze rev blocker ring is)? A missing snap-ring will cause the burn up also..
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Sorry if I'm wrong about which gear it is :-\ I might have misunderstood my mechanic...

All in all, I was cruising down the road from work, not even 5 minutes into my drive home and when I shifted into 6th, the stick started to vibrate and smoke starting to come out from under the stick, so I pulled over immediately. Upon restarting the car, it was stuck in a forward gear, but not even to get moving (6th?) and neutral didn't exist. All I did have was reverse, so makes sense. Fortunately I didn't drive it more than a few seconds on this problem....

I'll try to get some better pictures, too; I didn't have the most impressive camera at the time.

I definitely followed Derrick's break-in instructions, to the last detail. And I know it's hard to believe, but I've taken damn good care of it too. The car has NEVER seen the track while in my possession and I've driven it with the mindset that I want it to last for years to come...

Now the snap ring, is that the torn up ring that is in the first few pictures in my post? Because that was in ugly shape too...

I'm under the impression that I had all 'upgraded' internals, since the rebuild?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
A missing snap-ring will cause the burn up also..
It certainly will...
Old 11-04-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya under normal breakin and fluid it shouldnt have done so even with some minor abuse on a t56 it still shouldnt do it
Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GothMetalForever
Now the snap ring, is that the torn up ring that is in the first few pictures in my post? Because that was in ugly shape too...
No, the ring in the first pics is a spacer for the mainshaft extension bearing. The snap-ring should be around the mainshaft at the spline area of the mainshaft and the synchro hub.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Hmmm, I'll have to look.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Yes, my mechanic said its Reverse that blew up and all the parts are still there (including the snap ring). He said everything appeared to be assembled correctly, very possibly an equipment failure...
Old 11-06-2010, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Okay, so I've emailed Derrick twice, called him twice, and even got a text from him saying he'd call me back. That was days ago, though. Is he on vacation or something? Or am I screwed? He was excellent to deal with when I purchased everything from him, about a year ago. But now it's like he's disappeared? I'm getting sick of my car sitting up on jackstands........................
Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

...bump...
Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

There is no way that I should just blow up like that. I would say that one of two things happened.
1) Snap ring was left out.
2) Snap ring just happened to break.

If the snap ring broke & caused the damage, then it's really not the builders fault or your fault. If this is the case, and the job is technically out of warranty, then they should still help you out on it. In my opinion, it is the right thing to do (from a shop's point of view). I would at least give you free labor, and just make you pay for the parts.

If they left a part out, then they should stand behind the job and make it right with no cost to you.

If you give up on your original shop, then I' be glad to help you out. I can get it back to you in 1-2 days once it is received.
Anyway, best of luck to you! I hope they try to make things right.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

I can only wish that Derrick was as helpful as you are! Unfortunately, I've already got the transmission ripped apart and it would probably be cheaper to just purchase the parts and have my mechanic put them in.... :-\ So far I'm being almost completely ignored by the gentleman that rebuilt my trans. By 'almost', I mean that he did send me one text, but never responded to me... Oh and one call, this morning, but no response to my four returned calls.....

TDP, do you carry various T-56 internals, that I could purchase?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GothMetalForever
I can only wish that Derrick was as helpful as you are! Unfortunately, I've already got the transmission ripped apart and it would probably be cheaper to just purchase the parts and have my mechanic put them in.... :-\ So far I'm being almost completely ignored by the gentleman that rebuilt my trans. By 'almost', I mean that he did send me one text, but never responded to me... Oh and one call, this morning, but no response to my four returned calls.....

TDP, do you carry various T-56 internals, that I could purchase?
I could sell you a re-man mainshaft and used Reverse gear. Thats all I've got and normally I don't even sell parts. But I have like 15 mainshafts and a bunch of Reverse gears are due to arrive at my shop tomorrow. I could do $250 shipped. Paypal or CC. Just lmk
Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

PM'ed you
Old 11-09-2010, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

:-( :-\

Quick Reply: 6th Gear Blew Up...?