Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cannot seperate engine from trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cannot seperate engine from trans

Timing chain broke in my 06 GTO so today dad and I are trying to pull the engine to assess the damage.

We've got everything off the back of the engine, all wires/bellhousing bolts are out. We can get the engine to come forward about 3/8" but that's it. We can not see a hangup anywhere and the engine is off the dowel pins. This isn't our first time doing this in this car... and it was nowhere near this much of a pain last time.

It seems like the input shaft just doesn't want to let go of the clutch... any ideas what is going on?
Old 11-07-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the slave is hanging up
Old 11-07-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

My guess would be the input shaft is hanging in the disc. Not sure how you could hang up on the slave.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

make sure the engine is level with the trans. put a floor jack under the bellhousing and try different angles and stuff it should come loose.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Have someone rock the tailshaft in circles while pulling. The other guy prys with anything that will fit at 12, 6, 3 and 9o'clock.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hook up the clutch hydraulics, secure the transmission and have a helper hold it, then push down the clutch pedal ***gently***. The slave cyl will usually ease the trans off the bellhousing.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 AM
12 Second Club

That sounds like an eccelent way to break a clutch disc.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bww3588
That sounds like an eccelent way to break a clutch disc.
Have you actually used this procedure, or are you speculating?

I only recommend it as a last resort when the trans will not come off the bellhousing and all other options have failed.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by crainholio
Have you actually used this procedure, or are you speculating?

I only recommend it as a last resort when the trans will not come off the bellhousing and all other options have failed.
not this procedure exactly, but ive seen what happens when the splines are fubared and the clutch disc is stuck to the input shaft, and people go gung ho on prying and everything else...
Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

not this procedure exactly, but ive seen what happens when the splines are fubared and the clutch disc is stuck to the input shaft, and people go gung ho on prying and everything else...
Under those circumstances, how do you recommend safely removing the trans?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:07 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest trying to pull the throw out fork out. Literally try to remove it while it's still in the bell housing. It sounds as if the throwout fork is still on the throwout bearing. If that is the case you will never separate the two.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by duh
I would suggest trying to pull the throw out fork out. Literally try to remove it while it's still in the bell housing. It sounds as if the throwout fork is still on the throwout bearing.
I would suggest you try and find a throwout fork on an LS1-type T56...

Old 11-08-2010, 06:13 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

crap, now I feel like a dick...lol...I got to thinking about the LT1/T56 combo I just replaced...lol old throwout style...sorry, I forgot for a second that it's all hydraulic. I don't recommend hooking up the slave and trying to do it that way, sounds like a recipe for disaster. There's something not right about what you're saying though....I've never had an input shaft stick to the clutch disk....ever....unless there's damage done to it?? Sorry for opening mouth and inserting foot...lol
Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by duh
I don't recommend hooking up the slave and trying to do it that way, sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Fair enough, how do you recommend the guy get his trans off?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

It almost sounds as if it's just not straight. Because of the tolerances in the disk and input shaft are so close, if it's not perfectly straight it doesn't move. I have seen where a 1/4" movement of the tailend of the trans can cause it to hang up. I would recommend one guy wiggle the tailshaft around and the other hold the bellhousing and try pulling while moving it around. The throwout bearing is attached at the trans, and only rests on the input shaft. Therefore, unless the splines are twisted it should come apart with some movement. If the splines are twisted, the only way to get it off is going to be to try and pry it far enough to take the pressure plate off....which could cause more damage.....but if the timing chain broke, it's probably time for a new clutch anyway.....
Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by duh
It almost sounds as if it's just not straight. Because of the tolerances in the disk and input shaft are so close, if it's not perfectly straight it doesn't move. I have seen where a 1/4" movement of the tailend of the trans can cause it to hang up. I would recommend one guy wiggle the tailshaft around and the other hold the bellhousing and try pulling while moving it around. The throwout bearing is attached at the trans, and only rests on the input shaft. Therefore, unless the splines are twisted it should come apart with some movement. If the splines are twisted, the only way to get it off is going to be to try and pry it far enough to take the pressure plate off....which could cause more damage.....
this^^

but if the timing chain broke, it's probably time for a new clutch anyway.....
how does a broken timing chain and a clutch go hand and hand?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by duh
It almost sounds as if it's just not straight. Because of the tolerances in the disk and input shaft are so close, if it's not perfectly straight it doesn't move.
Tolerances? You might be thinking of the spline clearance, if you understood the difference between the two.

This is about as funny as guys posting in the Engine forums that the super-tight tolerances of the LS1 require thin engine oil.

Originally Posted by duh
The throwout bearing is attached at the trans, and only rests on the input shaft.
Say what?

The throwout bearing on an LS1-type T56 has no contact whatsoever with the input shaft unless some catastrophic damage has occurred to the shaft or the slave/throwout assembly.

Originally Posted by duh
If the splines are twisted, the only way to get it off is going to be to try and pry it far enough to take the pressure plate off....which could cause more damage
Yup that sounds much better than my method of using the hydraulics to ease the trans off the bellhousing...whip out a steel breaker bar and pry on aluminum parts...

Originally Posted by duh
,,,but if the timing chain broke, it's probably time for a new clutch anyway.....
Wow. Just wow.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

this^^
That.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by crainholio
That.
owned...i didnt read the last half. the first half made sense where its not lined up...
Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Ive always had better luck unbolting the trans from the bellhousing, and seperationg em that way.. those dowel pins between the bellhousing and the block can be a real bitch.

Quick Reply: cannot seperate engine from trans