Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch slipping & soft pedal (tech info)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010 | 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Default Clutch slipping & soft pedal (tech info)

Ok, about a month ago I was out driving the car, got on it pretty good and it made a loud clunk, followed by it revving and me slowly moving ahead.

Went back and looked @ my data log on HPtuners and seen it had to be clutch slip because the rpm's took off and the mph barely changed. Plus I could smell it a tad in the car. I am running a Spec 3 w/ billet steel flywheel. Replaced the slave when I did the clutch, so it only has 30k too. Never had a problem before, never slipped or acted funny. So this was strange that it started having a slipping issue that was bad enough that if I would get on it in 2nd it would slip.

Fast foward to last weekend, went to move the car outta the garage and the pedal felt "different" really soft and spongey. Pushed the pedal in maybe 3 times and it was stuck to the floor.

Had to push the car back into the garage and I just worked the pedal up and down a couple of times, looked under the car and could see a nice puddle of brake fluid.

So yesterday I warmed up the garage and started tearing into the car.

Car up, ready to go...

Here is the new slave beside the old one. There was ALOT of play on that piece that holds the throw out bearing and the shaft.

I popped the slave apart and found this, nice grooves worn around the shaft, I put it back together and could get it to catch alittle on the edge

Spec 3 pressure plate and disc, this thing has 30k on it and looks like new.

Have the car all back together, but the weather has been nice for us here in the Northeast. Once the roads are clear I am goin to take it for a spin to make sure it is ok.

99% sure that the slave was causing this problem. Just figured I would post up incase anyone else had this issue.

Last edited by C5kid; 12-27-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: picture fix

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping & soft pedal (tech info)