Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch... Near impossible to get in gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read this, https://ls1tech.com/forums/14281060-post4.html and do the exact same thing...I didn't use any special tools, the only difference for you without a remote bleeder, is you're going to have a little more brake fluid to clean up when you're done than I did, as I was able to aim mine into an old gatorade bottle...you just need a friend to help, and a wrench to open/close the bleeder. I've put 4500 or 5000 miles on my clutch, and have not had to touch the bleeder since I did that.

Also...if you're under the bellhousing while you're bleeding the clutch...wear something to protect your eyes...when you open the bleeder with someone else holding the pedal on the floor...the fluid shoots out pretty abruptly...and make SURE they know that "hold the pedal on the floor until I say so" means exactly what it says, and "ok, pump the pedal 15 times fast now" means exactly that, and that when you tell them "yeah, you're going to have to reach down and pull the pedal up with your hand"...that they really do need to do that...because when they hold it to the floor, and you open/close the bleeder, and then check the fluid level, the pedal will not come back up on it's own.

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
After doing a bunch of searching on the net and Tech, I'm beginning to see the majority of people with the same symptoms are find something defective with the pressure plate or SAC(???)
A LOT of people are quick to jump to that conclusion...but how many owners of brand new LS7 ZO6's, and ALL the OTHER cars that GM uses that pressure plate in do you see complaining that their clutch won't release properly, or releases too close too the floor? I see none...do you?...I also don't see GM getting into the huge warranty shitshow that you'd expect were it really a defective clutch/pressure place...and you probably also don't see that too.

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
im gonna say its easier to blame that the part they bought is defective than their method of bleeding or number of times doing it was insufficient. the fact is, the next step is to bleed it and bleed it well. get a power bleeder or mityvac and go to town. i would first stick a mityvac in from the top and let it put a vacuum on the system overnight and see what you get. we can sit here for months if you don't try anything we're not going to get anywhere.

im betting the farm on the hydraulics.
I couldn't agree more...if I had a farm, I'd bet mine with you.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to order a power bleeder this weekend and see where that gets me.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Why not spend 15-20 minutes tonight trying what I suggested without spending any money at all?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well well... after much ado about SOMETHING... turns out the NEW slave cylinder was leaking. Got it replaced and all should be calm in the kingdom again!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

So if you got it replaced, is the car shifting correctly now? Must feel good to drive it again.

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch... Near impossible to get in gear