Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pop! no clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Default pop! no clutch

About 6 months ago I did a t56 swap, I have about 5k miles on the swap so far. Today I drove about 100 miles, nothing strange, shifting smooth as ever, driving nice and easy all day. I was getting off the highway 2 miles from home, went to shift and part of the way down the pedal just died. It felt almost like the master pushed right through the firewall or something, but nope. No leaking fluid, no signs of anything wrong, just no clutch. Had to drive home by starting it in gear at every light and rev matching every shift.

I used a rebuilt t56, brand new tick master, brand new perfection/zoom slave, brand new perfection/zoom clutch, resurface GM flywheel. Every bolt torqued to spec, loctite on flywheel/pressure plate bolts, etc.

I guess I have to pull the trans and see, but any ideas? Maybe I popped the slave?

UPDATE:

Got the trans out today. I could see the pressure plate fingers were uneven, which obviously isn't good. My Dad was convinced from the beginning that a bolt was stuck in the pressure plate preventing disengagement. He was pretty darn close, except it was the friction material off of the clutch instead of a bolt:

Last edited by therealcreeper; 01-02-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1 car?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

yep

my dad (mechanic for many years) once had a clutch in one of his cars lose a spring off of the disk and get lodged in the pressure plate/flywheel assembly with similar symptoms, but the slave seems more likely to me. seems like it would be leaking something but when I was pulled over I didn't see anything dripping
Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to a car that I had in the past. Turned out that I broke the clutch disc in half. Hard to say if thats what happened to you, but I can tell you that its probably not in the T56
Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That happened to me. My clutch line popped off the slave cylinder, and I had no clutch. Tick had a bad run of m/C's, I don't think they were in the time frame when you bought it, bit they were great about taking care of me, if that turns out to be the problem, I'd give them a call
Old 01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TDP
I had the same thing happen to a car that I had in the past. Turned out that I broke the clutch disc in half. Hard to say if thats what happened to you, but I can tell you that its probably not in the T56
I'm hoping to get the trans out tomorrow, everything else is off at the moment just have to drop it. I'm hoping to find out what it is before I leave for canada for the week so that if needed I can get in on your Diamond clutch deal. Is a stage 3 total overkill for a car that never sees the 1/4 mile? Road course/autox/street is all it will ever see, I just want something I won't have to upgrade anytime soon

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
That happened to me. My clutch line popped off the slave cylinder, and I had no clutch. Tick had a bad run of m/C's, I don't think they were in the time frame when you bought it, bit they were great about taking care of me, if that turns out to be the problem, I'd give them a call
That was the first thing I thought of but I checked the master out thoroughly and there's no signs of anything wrong, we'll see what it looks like when I get the trans out tomorrow
Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

original post updated with pics of the problem

Quick Reply: pop! no clutch