Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McCloud RXT/RST for drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I forgot to weight it, but its lighter then my old clutch.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that is sexy!! I am in the market for a clutch and believe i just found what i want. How did the setuo go for this clutch?? Any shims?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin

I've worked with the rams and some other twins, that have the floater plate that has slots to fit around standoffs on the plate. I think thats were they rattle, but I can see that holding up to WOT and decell. This McLeod has straps, so the floater plate doesn't rattle, but that means on decell and down shifts. There is a lot of force on the straps.
Anyone had a problem with that? I dont do a lot of stupid engine breaking or anything, but I like to heeltoe on some fun streets. And when roll racing.
There is no force on the straps. Pressure plate will hold everything in place when the clutch is engaged. The straps are just a retainer of sorts to keep the floater in place when the clutch is released.

I love my RST. Buttery smooth and holding strong. No shims for me but my master is an adjustable Willwood.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

As its applying on decell the straps are taking force, or the whole point of having 2 disk would not work.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 PM
FormerVendor

Anyone had a problem with that? I dont do a lot of stupid engine breaking or anything, but I like to heeltoe on some fun streets. And when roll racing.
We have had a few customers send units back with taco'd drive straps. They are usually trying to upshift at 7-8K RPM and end up down shifting on accident, at that point the clutch is the least of thier worries. If you ever to manage to buckle the strap we can set the floater up with a additional 5th strap per ear. That RXT sure does look sexy behind the back of that motor. Hope you enjoy!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, thanks billy. Ya, I'm not looking to do any that, I dont think my motor would like that.
Theirs a lot of little things I noticed more installing it. Its machined really nice, everything a measured was flat and parallel. The fingers rolled ends looks to ride on the TOB better then the short square end fingers on other PP.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you order the clutch from Studderin? I plan to order the same clutch, let me know how it drives on the street. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

sent you a pm

I got get this thing broken in. Lots of new parts, I hate waiting but I will.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

What bolts are you guys using for your adapter plate/ pressure plate to flywheel? Are you just reusing your old PP to flywheel bolts?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

reused my stocks. The clutch came with some other bolts but they were standard thread, and some dowel pins. But my flywheel didn't have holes for them (ram billet)
BTW my finger to bell housing face spec was 2.240-2.250

what master are you guys using? I have a modded stock one thats been fine, I'm gona reuse.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:39 PM
FormerVendor

what master are you guys using? I have a modded stock one thats been fine, I'm gona reuse.
To all of you that do decide to go with the RST/RXT unit I highly suggest that you use the OEM master cylinder with these units. The pressure plate requires less than.400" of bearing travel to fully release and when you use the larger bore master cylinders they give a added stroke to the slave that may over center the diaphragm spring.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billy M
To all of you that do decide to go with the RST/RXT unit I highly suggest that you use the OEM master cylinder with these units. The pressure plate requires less than.400" of bearing travel to fully release and when you use the larger bore master cylinders they give a added stroke to the slave that may over center the diaphragm spring.
So youre saying that I shouldnt use my tick master cylinder?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im using an aftermarket master with a Mcleod slave but Im going to use a pedal stop.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z500HP
So youre saying that I shouldnt use my tick master cylinder?
He's just saying that the RST/RXT may not need the additional fluid flow that our kit is capable of providing. That said, as long as you adjust our kit correctly for your clutch (using our instructions), your chances of over centering the diaphragm spring are 0.

Enjoy!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billy M
We have had a few customers send units back with taco'd drive straps. They are usually trying to upshift at 7-8K RPM and end up down shifting on accident, at that point the clutch is the least of thier worries. If you ever to manage to buckle the strap we can set the floater up with a additional 5th strap per ear. That RXT sure does look sexy behind the back of that motor. Hope you enjoy!!!!
Which is why when we receive orders for these clutches we get detail specifics about their car so they get it right the first time!

Again thanks Billy!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine has been great so far, still have another 200 miles left to fully break it in and when i do it has a set of 26x10 slicks ready for it! as for street manners even with the 12lb Fidanza flywheel it actually has better manners with the new setup then with the stock setup ( of course the stock setup was shot too)...so far very minimal chatter only at low RPMs and great pedal feel. so far so good! ill update my thoughts after a 1/4 mile run at Clay City
Old 04-03-2011, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How would a 3/4" or 7/8" Wilwood master affect the travel. My Rx-7 has limited options for a master and I'm pretty sure I'm using the 7/8" at the moment. Question, will the RST handle a monthly night of 4 runs or so on ET Streets? Or will the RXT be better? I just want something that isn't on off switch and has ZERO chatter. Keeping in mind the car weighs 3k with me in it on 4.10 gears. :-p
Old 04-17-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got the RST installed late last night, and I dont have much drive time on it yet, but thus far it feels AWESOME!! Feels like a stock clutch, no bad driving manners, and I cant wait to see what it can do when I give it some FI power.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I replace my LS7 clutch with my RXT yesterday. Pedal feel is almost identical, the whole clutch setup is much lighter than the LS7 as the rpms fall much quicker between shifts. It takes a bit more throttle to get going so I need to get used to that. There is more vibration transmited through the whole car as it's an unsprung hub. So far I like it but I need to break it in before I can give it hell. I also had to a add a shim to my setup as I'm running a resurfaced spec billet flywheel.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

whats numbers did you get for thinking you needed a shim?

Quick Reply: McCloud RXT/RST for drag racing