Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch is slipping, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on how you drive it. If you give it alot of gas and take off quickly it isn't really that bad, but if you just try to crawl in stop and go traffic it shakes bad enough to be pretty gosh darn annoying.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Because the engagement is low, which is most likely the result of your not using the shim, it is quite possible that the chatter you feel is made worse by the fact that you are riding the pedal when releasing the clutch (in an effort to make engagement better). I really think you would like the engagement and feel better if it had the shim in place.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Just a little update, the chatter has reduced significantly after about 600 miles going forward. It really shifts to 2nd hard though, you have to release the clutch very slowly or it jerks pretty bad. I've noticed the chatter in reverse, however, is still pretty bad.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It might take some more miles to break in, I have a spec 3 and it sqeals and everything.. used to chatter but now its fine, might just need to get used to it.

EDIT: My spec 3 is an older model, newer ones are nice and don't make noise, my friend has a newer one... but besides that, maybe you do need a shim, I know i didn't use one, but my clutch is like 2yrs+ old... so not sure.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
It might take some more miles to break in, I have a spec 3 and it sqeals and everything.. used to chatter but now its fine, might just need to get used to it.

EDIT: My spec 3 is an older model, newer ones are nice and don't make noise, my friend has a newer one... but besides that, maybe you do need a shim, I know i didn't use one, but my clutch is like 2yrs+ old... so not sure.
I hope it goes away. I can't stand it. I almost wish i just would have bought a stock clutch.

This clutch smells terrible when i take off quickly. It doesn't slip at all, but it smells just like when it was on it's way out.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Here is the solution...put the shim in...it will immediately raise the pedal. You seem to be making this about an issue with the clutch but in truth it is relatvie to the shim not being installed. A Stage 1 disc uses an organic material that will have some odor when it is slipped. That being said this is more common during the break-in period unless you really are simply riding the pedal during clutch release. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Clutch is slipping, need advice