Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch pedal engagement question & BEWARE Monster clutches

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal engagement question & BEWARE Monster clutches

Installed a Monster clutch stage 2? (dual friction) clutch package this weekend. What a nightmare it turned into. when I had it back together bleeding the clutch at the slave cylinder screw, the entire HOUSING of the BRAND NEW slave cylinder straight SHEARED OFF when I went ti tighten it with a normal ratchet. Had to take out the entire trans again and use the new throwout bearing on the old OEm slave cylinder/housing

I thought I could trust Monster given they're freaking expensive, its was a full kit adn everyone said good things. That said, I am happy with the clutch, but having to pull the trans back out adn reuse my old slave cylinder because a brand new part was made out of incredibly poor quality metal and sheared, I can't say I had a good experience.
So beware if you're considering them.

***Quick question: All said and done, the engagement point for my clutch now is almost all the way to the floor on the pedal, its rock solid firm, I know its bled well, is this normal to have such a low engagement point? My OEm point was mid-way in pedal travel.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, Monster doesnt make the slave cylinder guy, its supposed to be a brand new GM unit. Slave cylinders are known to be hit or miss with these cars. To blame the clutch assembly for a faulty slave is like pissin in the wind.

And if you think Monster is "freakin expensive" check out some other options that easily climb over $1k for a clutch without them providing you with a slave & all the stuff you get with a Monster kit.

Sometimes you get a faulty part right off the assembly line, honestly I'm not suprised it was the slave that was the weak link. You not the first person to have a slave **** on you while being brand new, no matter what clutch it was being used with.

On the pedal if you installed the Tick Master along with the clutch its a adjustable unit & you have to set it up properly, its not a right out of the box bolt it up & start driving kind of piece. If its a stock master I'm not sure what your gonna have to do.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....I don't believe Monster makes the slave cylinder. They usually include a GM slave with their kit I believe.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Anything further on the pedal? From what i'm hearing/reading it should be normal.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DC8808
Anything further on the pedal? From what i'm hearing/reading it should be normal.
Again, what master cylinder are you running? A stock unit or a Tick adjustable?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Launching!

I think he means Slave cylinder

Sorry you had to pull the trans again,
But if anyone is responsible for the slave cylinder its GM

Of course you're the 1st on the planet that this ever had this problem too !
Old 02-22-2011, 06:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a little off put by your comments of "beware of Monster" considering the slave isn't manufactured by us. I understand your frustration but that is a little harsh considering.

That is correct we do not make the slave cylinder. We purchase the slaves directly from the manufacturer (AP).

I apologize that this happened, the unit comes with a 12 month warranty and we'd be more than happy to get you taken care of.

One thing that concerns me is that our Level 2 hasn't had a dual friction disc in almost a year...

Regardless, give us a call and we'll get you taken care of immediately.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
I'm a little off put by your comments of "beware of Monster" considering the slave isn't manufactured by us. I understand your frustration but that is a little harsh considering.

That is correct we do not make the slave cylinder. We purchase the slaves directly from the manufacturer (AP).

I apologize that this happened, the unit comes with a 12 month warranty and we'd be more than happy to get you taken care of.
One thing that concerns me is that our Level 2 hasn't had a dual friction disc in almost a year...

Regardless, give us a call and we'll get you taken care of immediately.
see OP? all you got to do is ask. You should get a speed bleeder line too, you wouldnt have found that piece shearing off after you put it all together, not to mention how much easier it makes the bleeding process. And if you are on a stock master cylinder, you can most likely expect a low pedal. I have a "III" and no matter what I did to bleed it, it was right off the floor, almost not drivable, then I put a Tick Adjustable in there, best thing I ever did. The stockers have a hard enough time as it is trying to keep up with the stock clutch much less an aftermarket unit.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah man a simple phone call would've sent you in the right direction, rather than just begin w/ the bashing from the start
Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

And you probably didn't correctly measure for the air gap during install is why your pedal grabs on the floor. Next thread will be my car wont go into gear. I have seen very satisfied Monster customers when the stuff is properly installed.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another full of fail thread due to a lack of tact, maturity and common sense.

Quick Reply: clutch pedal engagement question & BEWARE Monster clutches