Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best T56 clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by laytoncamaroz28
will your 60 foot go up with a lighter flywheel?
mine did'nt....and my set up is dramatically lighter
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

But the ls7 clutch comes in a car rated at 500+ hp?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel weight...

It is important that you realize that flywheel weight does affect the way a car responds out of the hole. Choosing the proper weight for your needs can be based on the way the car responds when leaving the line.

For instance, if the car spins the tires excessively then use of a lighter flywheel can dampen the hit of power to the wheels (by reducing inertia) which will allow the tires to grab more efficiently (reducing 60-ft times).

On the opposite side of the equation, if the car has an aluminum flywheel and bogs badly from a launch then the use of a heavier weight flywheel can help the car leave better which will also impact the 60ft. times.

All of this is of course relative to the car's set-up: power/torque, gear, tire size/type, launch RPM's etc...but the flywheel is an integral part of the way that power/torque are applied to through the drivetrain to the wheels. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baalic
But the ls7 clutch comes in a car rated at 500+ hp?
True, but the Z06 is a lighter car than ours. It comes down a lot to how you drive also....if you're gentle on launches it's going to last a lot longer than if you try 5k+ dumps at the track.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
It is important that you realize that flywheel weight does affect the way a car responds out of the hole. Choosing the proper weight for your needs can be based on the way the car responds when leaving the line.
This is true, but often times it get blown way out of proportion. We're only talking about minimal differences. The stock clutch setup is 49lbs. When changing clutch/flywheel setups, generally the total weight can change plus or minus 15%. This really isn't much at all. It might make a difference when tweaking a car for the optimal launch at the track. But it's not going to make any type of big difference. It would be interesting to track test several different setups to see the real difference. Also, it has to be taken into consideration that less rotating weight = higher efficiency = better power transfer = less power loss through the driveline. I think this would equate to a higher MPH at the end of the track. Just like the difference in launching, this also would only be a minimal gain. Again, I'd really like to see some track testing to see the true difference.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

fwiw i didnt notice any difference in revving speed going to a ls7 clutch. while it may be heavier we dont know where(radii) the added weight is.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cleb
Diamond stage 2 or 3 depending on what you want.

I have heard nothing but good things about these clutches.
For those of you who use the diamond stage 2 clutches. Do you do basic or performance packages?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking from experience an 18lb flywheel vs a 28lb flywheel made a ~.1 difference in 60' launching at the same rpm. A 22.5lb (total weight) twin disc increased the 60' almost .3 from a 1.4 to a 1.7 and didn't show the gains in mph down track in similar conditions even tho the dyno showed ~20hp increase, which I attribute to power shifting loosing momentum where the heavier clutch will sling shot the car each time on a well prepped track just like on the launch. A heavier clutch means it can actually be easier on the parts as you don't have to be as aggressive on the launch with lower rpms which increases clutch life from lower heat and there isn't as fine of a line between bogging/spinning. My 2 cents, don't hesitate if you have a question about a Monster. Chris, 817-750-2000

Quick Reply: Best T56 clutch?