Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pilot bearing flushness???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pilot bearing flushness???

I just finished installing the pilot bearing and I put it in to far in. Is that bad or dose it need to be flush with the end of the crank?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

if we are talking LT1...flush.

the reason there is space behind it when flush is so you can get a pull tool in/behind it to pull it out.

yout input shaft will have very little bearing to rest on with the bearing pushed in all the way
Attached Thumbnails pilot bearing flushness???-clutch-inst-2-pilot.jpg  
Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
if we are talking LT1...flush.

the reason there is space behind it when flush is so you can get a pull tool in/behind it to pull it out.

yout input shaft will have very little bearing to rest on with the bearing pushed in all the way
I respectfully disagree.

The following comments relate to LT1.
Two years ago the 2 year old and low miles pilot bushing totally failed and I had roughness between shifts. After I pulled the bushing out, roughly 2/3 of its ID surface area was grossly enlarged (worn out) where it contacts the input stub while the the other 1/3 ID surface area was never ever touched by the input. Clearly not functioning as intended.

I meaured everything and installed the new bushing not flush but with it sticking out of the crank 1/4", this would most definitely allow all of the ID of the bushing to contact the input stub. Only risk would be the tranny not properly attaching to the bell housing or the bushing falling out and I am very confident that aint gonna happen.

The tranny easily bolted up normally and just last month I installed a new clutch and examined the old pilot bushing. All of the bushings ID was absolutely contacting the input stub as it should and it did not have even a hint of wear.

I am a firm believer that the LT1 pilot bushings or bearings should stick out 1/4" to ensure a long life. Clearly it works and the input stub is better supported.

Quick Reply: pilot bearing flushness???