Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Throwout bearing. 02 Firebird fit 06 GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throwout bearing. 02 Firebird fit 06 GTO?

Should a throwout bearing from an F-body work in the 06 GTO? I had the engine out and as I was ready to reinstall I inspected the throwout bearing(I have a moster stage 3 in right now) and the rubber was all torn up and the bearing sounded like it had dirt/dust in it as it wasn't smooth. The auto parts place said they couldn't lookup the part because the car was too new(wtf?) so I ended up getting one for an 02 Firebird v8. It looked very close to to the one I pulled out so I went with it. However now I have the engine mated back up. Its fully bolted up to the trans and its like the clutch won't disengauge. Also when I pulled the motor all of the clutch fluid drained out.... is that normal? The times I've pulled the trans I drained the fluid before hand so I wouldn't know. It didn't seem right to me. The slave only has about 20K on it as it was replaced when I installed the Monster stage 3.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When you pulled the motor from the bellhousing fluid drained out?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Yes, the clutch was not used during the removal and the fluid drained when the motor was pulled away from the trans bellhousing. Clutch worked fine before pulling the motor.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

The GTO and F-body have a different connection type for their line from the master to the slave and as a result are not interchangable. Additionally, if you had fluid in your bell-housing you need to be very careful about reusing the clutch you have as contamination would be very likely. You will need to flush and refill the hydraulic fluid to insure that all the air is eliminated from the system. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The GTO and F-body have a different connection type for their line from the master to the slave and as a result are not interchangable. Additionally, if you had fluid in your bell-housing you need to be very careful about reusing the clutch you have as contamination would be very likely. You will need to flush and refill the hydraulic fluid to insure that all the air is eliminated from the system. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
I replaced just the bearing not the slave.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

If all the fluid was in the bell-housing then you should have replaced the slave too...as this would be the likely location of the leak. I just assumed that you had done this based on the mention of the leak. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
If all the fluid was in the bell-housing then you should have replaced the slave too...as this would be the likely location of the leak. I just assumed that you had done this based on the mention of the leak. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Nope. I was pulling the motor and leaving the trans in. This slave has less than 25k. The throwout bearing looked beat up so I replaced that. Clutch was fine before we pulled the motor so it's just odd that it would be bad. Fluid just leaked out when we separated the motor from the trans.

Quick Reply: Throwout bearing. 02 Firebird fit 06 GTO?