Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What will break first in my T56?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats awesome man! Congrats on the 7.60s passes. Looks like you will definitely meet your goal of an 11 second pass. Keep us posted on how the 1/4 passes go.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
That price is faceplating your TR6060. Yes straight cut G-force gears for the T56. The TR6060 is strong enough that you will be able to use 5th and 6th as power gears.
So if you want your tranny to have strong 5th and 6th gears, but yet be quiet enough to use as a daily driver, your only choice is a faceplated TR6060? I know faceplating isn't the greatest way to go for a DD, but it would have to be better than listening to straight cut gear whine on the interstate.

Or are the 5th and 6th gears in a stock TR6060 strong enough to use as power gears?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by X-ray
So if you want your tranny to have strong 5th and 6th gears, but yet be quiet enough to use as a daily driver, your only choice is a faceplated TR6060? I know faceplating isn't the greatest way to go for a DD, but it would have to be better than listening to straight cut gear whine on the interstate.

Or are the 5th and 6th gears in a stock TR6060 strong enough to use as power gears?
An upgrade T56 Magnum/TR6060 has very strong 5th and 6th gears. Faceplating doesn't necessarily make the gear stronger. It just eliminates some of the common failures of a standard synchronized T56 transmission. It gets rid of the slider keys that are a known weak link in T56s and should ALWAYS be replaced with solid billet keys in any performance rebuild. It also gets rid of the engaugement teeth that wear from clashing the slider and gear when shifting which causes poor shifting or popping out of gear.

Faceplatings primary objective is to help with high RPM shifting. With a synchronized transmission very high RPM shifting makes the blocking ring to a LOT of work to change the speed of the next gear, cluster gear, input shaft, (the entire propshaft in a C5 or C6) and clutch disk. With faceplating it has no choice but to change speed that is why you get such a positive "Whack" when you shift to the next gear in a faceplated trans.

If you aren't going to turn over 7,500rpm a triple cone transmission like the corvette or GTO T56 gearsets or the TR6060 will work just fine for you if you. If you are going to make over 650-700ftlbs I would recommend going with the T56 Magnum/TR6060 because the T56 starts to loose reliability at 650-700ftlbs.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what i broke in my faceplated trans....

Quick Reply: What will break first in my T56?