Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

gm clutch master or tick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

gm , it seems as of late their have been lots of problems with the tick , either the install or product problem . I dont know which . But my brother has an after market rear and clutch with the 01-02 master and he hasn't had one problem with high rpm shifts or anything .

I want the tick but as of late just too many problems popping up .
Old 04-07-2011, 02:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out unit is warranted for the entire time you own it - I'm not sure what problems you're referencing ramairetransam, but there hasn't ever been a problem with one that we didn't cover under our warranty.

Our unit is lightyears ahead of the stock piece, and for those of you with clutch disengagement issues, it isn't as much of a "want" as it is a NEED.

For more info, check out our FAQ here: http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master
Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

this is what i meant , i havent heard of other problems but these two are very close to each other and i wonder whats up .

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...lem-video.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ll-sticks.html
Old 04-07-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Warranty

I'm not sure if the vendor understands, while it seems they do stand behind their product and take care of any warranty issues, sometimes it is not all about the warranty, the clutch master cylinder is one of those items that is a pain in the *** to change out so yes purchase price is a factor but that the item works like it is supposed to and will last for a long time without any problems is another very big factor, if an item has a lifetime warranty I could care less if my car is down for a week while I am waiting for a replacement to be shipped and then I have to go through the pain in the *** install again. And I don't want to hear the posts about the install isn't that bad and that you can install it in 5 minutes with one eye closed and one hand tied behind your back, I doubt there are alot of companies that have as big of a research and development and as much to lose as a car company such as G.M. if they put out a inferior product. Good Luck with whichever clutch master cylinder you choose.

Last edited by lizeec; 04-26-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.k. just thought I'd share this. I just removed the spring on the clutch pedal. Now the pedal no longer sticks to the floor or halfway. But, when I hold the pedal down like before the pedal will feel spongy till I pump the clutch a couple times. Then it firms up and feels pretty good.

Now, this is something I noticed today while laying on the floor board before removing the spring. When I pushed the pedal down by hand and held it down, the pedal of course would stick, but I could hear fluid moving inside the master. Which really makes me believe the master is leaking by causing my problems.

Just thought I'd add this. I'm off to get a master cylinder. Hopefully this does the trick and I can get out and enjoy this thing. Weather has been pretty good lately...
Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Default Update

Its been awhile, I had some other things come up. So this is where im at now. I bought a new master cylinder from autozone. The numbers on the housing and everything on the new autozone master matched perfectly. So I bench bleed the master and installed in the car with the help of a couple buddies. I gotta say it was a bitch to install. Very hard to bend my wrist, elbow, and shoulder to get it into possition from the top. I had a friend inside the car laying on the floor to help get the master lined up and secure. Without anymore bleeding I simply plugged the hydraulic line back into the slave and tried the pedal. To my surprise it felt pretty good. i tied things up outta the way and took it for a drive. The car shifted fine and no spongy or sticking pedal. Tonight I reinstalled the spring on the pedal and put things back together on the inside. I tried the pedal again, holding it to the floor for a minute or so with no problems.

I suspect everything is o.k. now with the clucth. I havent taken it for a long drive yet to be sure but the pedal feels WAY better than before. The tranny seems to shift easy and no hangups in the pedal since. I'm very happy so far.
Hopefully I'll get to drive it tomarrow to put it to a good test.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Default Great

Well it sounds like you got the problem fixed and hopefully it will stay that way, and I am sure you are happy to have spent about $75.00 for a part that has a lifetime warranty as well and if it does go bad the local store is down the street versus paying $300.00 for one that is overkill for your driving habits and horsepower level of your car then having to send it out of state to be checked and losing a week on shipping it there and another week waiting for it to get shipped back if goes bad.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Thanks lizeec for posting about the parts store master cylinder. I never would have gave that a shot. Like was said, the 2 seemed identical. As long as it holds up a few years like the other, I'll be happy. I will for sure keep an eye on the fluid condition from here on out. I know one thing for sure, next time I'll have to find another buddy to help. I doubt those guys will come anywhere near my house if i mention needing help on that master again! Lol. Anyway, I'll post up if anything is still wacky. I think its good to go though. Thanks to all for the opions and advise.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A
The Tick Master Cyl is one of the best mods I have done so far. My only regret is that I wished I would have done it sooner.
I was going to say the same thing. I'm so glad I bought mine!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Default Clutch Master Cylinder

Originally Posted by 99 z
Thanks lizeec for posting about the parts store master cylinder. I never would have gave that a shot. Like was said, the 2 seemed identical. As long as it holds up a few years like the other, I'll be happy. I will for sure keep an eye on the fluid condition from here on out. I know one thing for sure, next time I'll have to find another buddy to help. I doubt those guys will come anywhere near my house if i mention needing help on that master again! Lol. Anyway, I'll post up if anything is still wacky. I think its good to go though. Thanks to all for the opions and advise.
No problem, I found out by luck after I bought mine and compared them and found that both the G.M. Master cylinder and the Autozone master cylinder both had Raybestos stamped on them and the exact little sticker with the part number which were identical. That told me that G.M. sources that particular part from Raybestos, another tip is for the slave cylinder at Autozone it is also the exact same brand and part number as the G.M. But about $75-$100 cheaper.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lizeec it really only takes about 1.5-2 hours to install the tick master. That time includes the bleeding of it. I've had both and sorry but the 01-02 gm master is junk compared to the tick imo. The only problems I see that the tick has is the window to slip the clutch becomes smaller with it and its base is much larger then the gm master so its harder to install. Oh and yes even though I love mine I think tick really overcharges for there product
Old 04-27-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Default Tick

Ok here we go I understand it may take you 1.5-2.0 hours to install, but this all depends on a persons skill level and tool box. I have seen some mechanics that have the baddest snap on tool box but it would take them 5 hours to do a job like that, I have also seen the guy that has a butter knife a pair of pliers a hammer and a rock that could do those types of jobs in an hour. It all comes down to the op's first post his car is completely stock and does not see any track time so a Tick master his overkill both on price and his driving habits. Apparently the stock master is more than adequate for a stock drivetrain. Either way the op is happy and his car us up and running for less than $100.00 I'm sure he is happy, and yes the tick is way overpriced for what it is.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lizeec
I'm not sure if the vendor understands, while it seems they do stand behind their product and take care of any warranty issues, sometimes it is not all about the warranty, the clutch master cylinder is one of those items that is a pain in the *** to change out so yes purchase price is a factor but that the item works like it is supposed to and will last for a long time without any problems is another very big factor, if an item has a lifetime warranty I could care less if my car is down for a week while I am waiting for a replacement to be shipped and then I have to go through the pain in the *** install again. And I don't want to hear the posts about the install isn't that bad and that you can install it in 5 minutes with one eye closed and one hand tied behind your back, I doubt there are alot of companies that have as big of a research and development and as much to lose as a car company such as G.M. if they put out a inferior product. Good Luck with whichever clutch master cylinder you choose.
I dont think a clutch master cylinder is all that hard of a job, its not a 5 minute job either but its not that terribly difficult. If youre not working on a hoist the hardest part would be the quick disconnect at the trans. The Tick unit is slightly harder to install just because its more bulky than a stock one but its a much better unit & theres no question it works better from my experiences & from all the great feedback its been getting. GM has to keep costs down, thats why our cars have some parts that work great on the street & at stock power levels, like stock torque arms, the 10 bolt rear & the restrictor in the line with the stock style clutch master cylinder but these items dont work that well at the track drag racing.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lizeec
Ok here we go I understand it may take you 1.5-2.0 hours to install, but this all depends on a persons skill level and tool box. I have seen some mechanics that have the baddest snap on tool box but it would take them 5 hours to do a job like that, I have also seen the guy that has a butter knife a pair of pliers a hammer and a rock that could do those types of jobs in an hour. It all comes down to the op's first post his car is completely stock and does not see any track time so a Tick master his overkill both on price and his driving habits. Apparently the stock master is more than adequate for a stock drivetrain. Either way the op is happy and his car us up and running for less than $100.00 I'm sure he is happy, and yes the tick is way overpriced for what it is.
My 01-02 GM master cylinder wouldn't shift my low mile Ls6 clutch at high rpm's it would lock me out of 4th gear. Quit acting like the gm master is a good stock piece. Its not many cars are plagued by shifting problems because of them. But I do agree for him a cheap gm master cylinder was the best way to go considering he's stock.

Also I don't know what your saying with the install time? If you know what your doing it should take about 2 hours plan and simple. If you don't then it could take longer but that doesn't mean its a hard job it just means you don't know what your doing.

Quick Reply: gm clutch master or tick?