Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 rebuild opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 rebuild opinions needed

So i figured since my engine was out i might as well fix my small tranny issues i was experiencing before i tore the motor out. Most of my problems occurred after a quick 1-2 shift which lead to the death of my 10bolt (again! lol). It locked the rear end up for a second and im assuming shock loaded the tranny. From then on it was difficult to downshift 3-2, however i could still shift 1-2 fine. Another issue that i noticed was it would have a distinct wine/growl under light loads and decel. This was all noticed after rebuilding the rear end of course.

So anyways i tore it down this past weekend and the only thing i found was a broken snap ring barely hanging on for its life. However it did manage to cause some unwanted wear on my 5/6 hub. The main issue i am facing now is that i cannot get the 5/6 hub to come off the shaft. The inside splines of it have been smashed down on the end where the snap ring was, not allowing it to slide over the shaft. So.....any ideas on how to remove it without damaging anything, and should i replace the 5/6 hub?

Sorry for the long post, here are some pics.
any suggestions appreciated.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Launching!

no suggestions?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Go ahead and use a press on 5th gear to push it off along with the hub. The hub will already be toast, as will the blocker after pressing, but the 5th gear should survive. You may have to end up replacing the extension shaft if the splines can't be dressed to accept a new hub. ( I think I have 4 or 5 spare extension shafts laying around, if you needed one)
Old 04-06-2011, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a bunch spare slider hubs. Just pay the shipping and it's yours. I'll throw you a snap ring in there too.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Update: Well i managed to get the damaged hub off of the shaft ok. Big thanks goes out to Jeremy @RPM Transmissions for giving me an awesome deal on a slider hub, without this piece i would be stuck, thanks again!

Hopefully i will have my tranny back together next weekend.

Quick Reply: t56 rebuild opinions needed