Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pics - Liberty Pro-shifted T56 Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the life expectency of a street driven pro shifted tranny?

95Formula: How many street miles you have so far?

Coach: you care to fill us in on what kind of problems you have had?

I am ready for a rebuild and I have been looking at the G-Force (if they ever come out) but I know that this is cheaper but how it all depends on how long it will last.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:37 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In short all I will say is, this tranny cost me 2 brand new motors.

It finally conviced me to go to a turbo 350.

Coach
Old 03-30-2004, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

What is current status ... still happy? Any complaints? Have to hold it in gear? etc?

TIA
Old 03-30-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Funny you ask, I was thinking about posting tonight.

At the track, I LOVE IT. I did not have to hold it in gear, but I anticipate as it wears, I'll have to. It goes in to gear bam! bam! bam! It's awesome. *At the track.*

I drove it to work today (~30 miles round trip, some city, mostly highway, a trip to post office and UPS in between). What a pain in the *** (frankly put). It sure lets you know that it doesn't like you shifting in to gear at slow speeds / RPMs. Thank goodness I have 4.56 gears, and can go 1st to 5th at about 30 mph.

So, at the track:
On the street:

Will I keep it in? Hell yeah.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Funny you ask, I was thinking about posting tonight.

At the track, I LOVE IT. I did not have to hold it in gear, but I anticipate as it wears, I'll have to. It goes in to gear bam! bam! bam! It's awesome. *At the track.*

I drove it to work today (~30 miles round trip, some city, mostly highway, a trip to post office and UPS in between). What a pain in the *** (frankly put). It sure lets you know that it doesn't like you shifting in to gear at slow speeds / RPMs.
LOL, I can just picture this. That must have been a royal PITA.

But the track benefits are more important for your duties so shift away
Old 03-30-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Of course it doesn't help that my car is wavering on the edge of streetability anyway...

-Full time skinnies
-No power steering
-Spool
-Pro-shifted Trans
-Madman torque arm w/o sliding front joint
-Corbeau seats with no butt padding
-6 point rollbar

Not exactly your comfortable cruiser... But seeing that shift light as I get on the freeway....

At least I still have a radio.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:10 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
Liberty Pro-shifted T56

Coach
Coach,what exactly happened to your motors?

Matt
Old 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

This sounds very interesting. I have a few questions as far as driving it around town goes. What has been described here sounds to me exactly like driving a commercial vehicle that has a transmission were a splitter is required. I drive one around all the time, and seem to experience what has been described in this post. I always have to double clutch or I dont use the clutch at all (just slid it out of one gear and push it into the next and match the RPMs), It doesnt like to go into first or low gear unless you are stopped, and if you miss a gear downshifting it will definately let you know.

My question is are you able to shift in the pro-shifted gears by double clutching and pulling it out of one gear and pushing it into the next? If you are this would be a great upgrade for anyone, I honestly think its easier to drive like this than to use the clutch all the time.

Note : I know the ratios for the T-56 will be extremely different then for a transmission for any commercial vehicle, thus creating a very different driving experience, I was just wondering if it was possible to the shifting of the pro-shifted transmission the same way as a commercial vehicles tranmission.

If there is something I am missing please feel free to inform me. Im here to learn and I maybe wrong, this post was just based on my experience, not knowledge of how either transmission works.

Thanks for reading,
Rob
Old 03-31-2004, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robs98SS
This sounds very interesting. I have a few questions as far as driving it around town goes. What has been described here sounds to me exactly like driving a commercial vehicle that has a transmission were a splitter is required.
Rob
That is pretty much it. Or the old 4x4 (16 gears with two transmissions in series) before the Road Rangers. Pretty much like any non-synchro tranny. The only examples these days are probably big trucks. All it takes is some practice on timing. I can drive my stock T56 clutchless even. I think a heavy flywheel helps
Old 06-28-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Coach would you be scared of pro-shiftign just 3rd and 4th/ What exactly happened to yours?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Pro-Shifted T56 built from a brand new T56. It has been down the track only 4 or 5 passes and absolutely zero street miles. This thing is virtually brand new and looks that way, too.

Any interest? If so I'll figure out what I need to get for it.

Quick Reply: Pics - Liberty Pro-shifted T56 Parts