Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pics - Liberty Pro-shifted T56 Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pics - Liberty Pro-shifted T56 Parts

For the curious. I had never seen pro-shifted parts before, but my parts arrived today. Maybe I can get the T56 put together on Sunday. That should be fun for the Spring Break Shootout.

Note what they did. On the gears themselves, they machined off the little nubby teeth and welded a ring on. On the sliders, they machined out a significant number of slider engagement teeth. Those sliders really fall on to the gears now.

I sent them my old second gear that I'd "machined" the second gear nubby teeth off of. Guess it was useful after all.

Anyhow. Just thought I'd post up some pics, so folks could see what they look like.

-Andrew
Attached Thumbnails Pics - Liberty Pro-shifted T56 Parts-2n4.jpg   Pics - Liberty Pro-shifted T56 Parts-3rd.jpg   Pics - Liberty Pro-shifted T56 Parts-3rdsldr.jpg   Pics - Liberty Pro-shifted T56 Parts-sldrs.jpg  
Old 02-19-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this going to be a track only setup, or will you still be able to shift it on the street, looks good either way.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pretty much track only. I've never driven a pro-shifted tranny before. I anticipate having to double-clutch.

1st gear is not pro-shifted, nor does it have a blocker ring... so you have to be stopped to engage.

I have 2 T56's, and my car's pretty easy to work on. So it won't be too tough to swap back and forth.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Teching In

What is the life expectancy of those parts? They look bad ***, and god help you if you miss a shift. Let me know how it goes.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I do not expect them to last more than 1 year of racing. Liberty told me that they can cut the rings off and put new dog ear rings on the gears (implied hint: they will need replacing). Also, the slider material isn't that strong.

With this setup, should make powershifting a snap tho. I want to see if I can make it from staging to traps without lifting off the throttle.

-Andrew
Old 02-20-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're getting crazyer by the day but i am sure it will be a wild ride especially on the squeeze.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:31 AM
Teching In

A wild ride, and a LOUD one too. I'm sure it is going to sound great when those parts slam into each other. Keep me posted.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

How are the blocker rings normally mounted?
Old 02-21-2004, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

How does a pro-shifted transmission work?
Old 02-22-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pro-shifting removes the synchro blocker rings, and the modified dogs go in to gear easier.

Check out the attached picture. On the left is 2nd gear (stock), with the corresponding synchro blocker rings, with a slider in the background. On the right is a pro-shifted 2nd gear, with the slider in the background - and no blocker rings.

The purpose of the blocker ring is to help 'synchronize' the gear with the mainshaft - making it easier to drive around town. This comes at the expense of getting it in to gear 'fast'.

-Andrew
Attached Thumbnails Pics - Liberty Pro-shifted T56 Parts-2ndgr.jpg  
Old 02-22-2004, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

Makes sense do the gears wear out pretty fast with a setup like that?
Old 02-25-2004, 08:31 AM
SSU Moderator

Do you have to double-clutch on the up shift? If so, won't that be slower? I don't see the benefit if you have to replace parts each season? Maybe I'm missing something.

Can you explain how you would drive it at the track?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have never driven one, so I don't know for sure. Jason at Thunder talked me in to this. He's a bad influence on me.

But... at the track, you blip the clutch and jam it in to gear. Don't lift off the throttle. That's my understanding. Just don't miss any gears.

Around town is when the double-clutching will likely be necessary.

I bought these parts more as an experiment for my own education than anything. I consider these hardcore race parts - and race parts are generally expendable. I work on my own transmissions, so labor is basically free (costs me to send the wife out shopping tho ).

-Andrew
Old 02-25-2004, 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I may have to request a test drive at SBSO. I'd love to keep a manual in my next drag car if this works out. Coach had bad issues with his pro-shift setup T56.

Tony
Old 02-25-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

No problem, Tony. Just find me at the shootout (I know you'll be busy). I'd love to watch the car make a pass.

I know all about Coach's problems with the Liberty trans he had. I'm definitely hoping not to repeat it. If I don't like the pro-shifted tranny, I still have my good "regular" one that I can stick back in.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

I've been to the track twice with my pro shifted tranny so far. Your gonna love the full throttle shifting. But...don't pull on the shifter in gear...I've pulled mine out of 3rd twice while under power.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

So no clutch is neccessary during WOT? I really wish I could understand how this works. Sounds interesting though. I'll be curious to see how you do with this tranny as I'm always looking for what drivetrain I'll need at the next level. Do you think you could get incar video of a WOT blast? I'd be interested to see how you shift and how it sounds in the car.

Mike
Old 02-26-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

You still have to use the clutch pedal at WOT, but since there's no blocker/synchro rings, and there's more 'slop' to slide it in to gear, it goes in faster.

My clutch is fully disengaged about 4-5" off the top. So hopefully this will allow me to shift faster.

As for video, I'll see what I can do...
Old 03-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Launching!

I had Liberty Pro-shift my trans last summer and I LOVE IT!! I have about 2,000 street miles and about 20+ passes. No problems (except for a broken output shaft at the Thunder Shootout!) A couple things that i can tell you. 1) When shifting into 1st, you have to be completly stopped, put it in another gear first(preferablly a gear that still has synchros, or it too will grind!) to slow down the gear set. 2) When upshifting it will make a loud grinding sound. I have found thet if you shift really slow it won't make any sounds. By slow I mean, pull shifter out of gear, leave in neutral for a second then slowly put in next gear. This kinda sucks but it will save the rings for the track while still allowing you to drive it on the street. 3) When downshifting, you can try to match the RPM's but it's really hard to concentrate on the tach, jam it in gear, and turn a corner! I have found that if you spike the gas pedal right before you downshift it will go in with very minimal grind. You will learn the difference between a good downshift and a bad one very fast! 4) When powershifting, you MUST hold the shifter in gear, or it will pop out of gear! I think this is the problem Coach was having. As long as you hold it in gear and don't miss you will be fine.

I don't mean to scare anyone who is considering doing this. My idea of "streetable" is much different than most though! It is no big deal once you get the hang of it!

Sorry for the long post! If i think of anymore, I'll let ya know!!!!

Ohhh yea...

Last edited by 1BADWS6; 03-02-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:12 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Liberty Pro-shifted T56

Coach

Quick Reply: Pics - Liberty Pro-shifted T56 Parts