Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC clutch, M.C., Slave, still problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEC clutch, M.C., Slave, still problems please help

Hey guys I have been reading and have seen some similar problems I am running into but I have several things going on here so I am looking for some help directly. I had my slave cylinder fail in my car last fall. My friend who owns a tranny shop did all the work on my car (98 SS). First he replaced master cylinder before we determined it was the slave. I had some grinding in 3rd gear when it was shifted fast so he took tranny apart and replaced synchro's and 5-6 gear. after tranny was back together we put a SPEC 2+ clutch in it with factory flywheel that had been resurfaced. First of all 3rd gear still grinds and we don't know why. Any ideas? Second, we cannot get the clutch to work properly. It is very hard to shift car between gears and almost imposible to get it into reverse. They have bled the clutch several times and it hasn't helped. We called SPEC today and they mentioned an adjustable M.C.. What BRAND? I don't want to replace a brand new one if possible but I want my car right. If anyone can help with any/all of my problems that would be awesome!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for posting your questions. I have afew questions to help assess the situation more fully. Where does engagement occur relative to pedal travel? Is it low, middle, or high in regards to pedal release? Was the shim installed, or were measurements taken to assess the need for the shim? What flywheel is being used? If it was the stock flywheel how much materials was removed? Let me know and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
Old 04-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Yea I think you need to do the measurement for the clutch and shim it.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Tick MC seems to be the way to go along with the remote bleeder. I personally haven't done it yet but it is a priority of mine when able.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Jeremy, Factory flywheel. shouldn't of had more material removed than what was listed in directions, i think it said .15? As far as the shim, it was installed, and the clutch is barely off of the floor.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Bump...
Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

Was the flywheel machined previously? Without checking the thickness of the flywheel it is hard to know how material was removed. You can certainly check the stack height of the unit and let me know your findings. Give me a shout and I can talk you through this procedure. Thanks,
Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Teching In

this is the same problem im having with mine. lets hear some more info about this.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs down Spec clutch problems

I'm having the same problems with the spec 3+ V2 clutch. its hard to shift into gear and almost impossible to get into reverse. I have tryed it with and without the shim. Even have an adjustable master.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM
FormerVendor

Measureing for the shim, to determine what you need, is quite simple. If you have tried with and without then you should be able to provide your measurements. What were they? Knowing this will sed a great deal of light on what you are seeing. If you are within the specified measurements then the pedal shouldn't be on the floor unless you are having an issue with the hydraulic system too.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

I know I'm bringing up an old thread but I just wanted to add that I ordered a level 3 monster clutch kit (comes with a flywheel). After pulling everything apart and putting it back together I noticed the trans fit up to the motor much easier than last time. I took some time and went through the email invoices and found out that I was using a C5 flywheel with my fbody spec 3+ clutch.....
So Spec might not be as bad as I originally thought lol. Apologies.
Even using the wrong combination the clutch never slipped.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 PM

I have the same issue except on my car (2000 trans am) I can shift into gears 2-6 only if I really push the clutch way in there with excess force while ignition is on, car is off and I can shift into all gears like a hot knife through butter. I'm also curious as to what is the cause of this, I have been looking for answers. I will be leaving it at a mechanic shop as soon as I get the chance to. I have yet to find a thread that is recent, all these are really old threads.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Your issue sounds more like a hydraulics problem.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

I currently have a spec stage 5 (cant wait to ditch it) and originally had the same problem. I am using one of their billet flywheels, and have to use 2 of of their shims to get the clutch to fully disengage. Not to mention the mounting holes for the flywheel didnt even match their own flywheel. 1500 miles later and the clutch is pretty much shot. Big pile of **** if you ask me.

Quick Reply: SPEC clutch, M.C., Slave, still problems please help