Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Shifter Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the only thing i dont like about my MGW is that now everyone i know wants to drive my car cause they love it as well!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know how it compares to the pro 5.0, when i had the pro 5.0 in my car i really like how notchy it felt, and how well it would center.

has anyone made the switch to this clutch from a pro 5.0?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Most Cobra guys use it. They also use a Cobra Bobs Shifter Gasket.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by knight_rider
I saw that, did you actually get that ****? lol..or did you order one without that emblem.

I have been debating for awhile about the MGW shifter, I currently have the Pro 5.0 with Lou's Short Stick, I like it but after all the good reviews I've read about the MGW I might just give that a try to see how good it really is compared to the Pro 5.0 since most people on here have said they like it better than the 5.0
I just recently installed an MGW with the machined jam nut and rally mustang ball. (White with black stripes.)
This shifter replaced a B&M Ripper which made no noise, and I thought the B&M was a great shifter. The amount of throw you save is really minor in comparison, but the tightness of the springs I really like in the MGW. If you have either the 5.0 or the Ripper, you'll be more then happy with either of those shifters but I didn't find it to be a HUGE difference, but it was an improvment. I Figured what the hell since it was a cheap mod and easy to install.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is my next mod, been leaning towards the Hurst for reputation and liking one that came stock in a 2000 Z28, thats until hearing alot about the MGW lately.
My big question is about the placement, I've heard quite a bit about it sitting (roughly) 4 inches farther from the driver and I don't like that idea. What's the 411 on that? I figure it's something I'm gonna have to love seeing how much I'll use it, want to do my research first
Thanks
Jared
Old 05-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JrodCamaro
This is my next mod, been leaning towards the Hurst for reputation and liking one that came stock in a 2000 Z28, thats until hearing alot about the MGW lately.
My big question is about the placement, I've heard quite a bit about it sitting (roughly) 4 inches farther from the driver and I don't like that idea. What's the 411 on that? I figure it's something I'm gonna have to love seeing how much I'll use it, want to do my research first
Thanks
Jared
4" towards the dash? Either or, 4" is allot of distance. I found it to sit in the exact same spot as any other shifter.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Then theres the MGW. They have great reviews. They have great short and smooth shifts. I have read complaints that the shift stick sits further away from the driver making first gear feel like third gear.
I read somewhere else about the roughly 4" part. I guess best way to know is to fork out the money and find out for myself, if all else fails get the money back and go with the billet hurst I was already leaning towards. All the good testimonies are pretty convincing. Just thought I'd check for a little ore information on this first
Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Launching!

i just got an mgw and the shifts are 1000x smoother.. its sooo much more enjoyable to drive now

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Review