Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 A4 to M6 swap. Does anyone sell a kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 A4 to M6 swap. Does anyone sell a kit?

I'm searching local yards and all over the internet to find a good T56 swap for my 95 Z but can't find anything. I know a lot of shops are selling built T56's but for now until I get the swap done and make sure it all works I'm just looking for a stock tranny in good shape. Does anyone have anything like this for sale or should I keep looking in the classifieds?

Things I can live without are: crossmember, shifter, clutch disk. I need the rest in a complete package. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

The thing is that you won't find a T56 at a junkyard. The demand is so high, that these trannys get scooped up long before the car hits the yard. A used LT1 tranny WILL need a rebuild, even if it works fine and was pulled from a running car. I would suggest keeping this in mind when transmission shopping. I wouldn't pay more than 600-700 for a used LT1 T56. The T56 is a very "forgiving" transmission. It can have several problems in the works, while still operating perfectly. It would just be a matter of time before it starts grinding or popping out of gear....might be one month, or 20 months. The point is that you never know what you're getting when buying a used "older" tranny. On the flip side, if the deal is good enough then go for it.
In the long run, you're better off buying a built/warrantied/upgraded T56. I sell them for $1900 outright, but rarely have them in stock due to the high demand. If you can find one for $400-600 and then get it built, then you'll have a chance of coming out ahead.
BTW, I think I have an LT1 bellhousing and pedals maybe. If I do then $180 for it all. Good luck
Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDP
The thing is that you won't find a T56 at a junkyard. The demand is so high, that these trannys get scooped up long before the car hits the yard. A used LT1 tranny WILL need a rebuild, even if it works fine and was pulled from a running car. I would suggest keeping this in mind when transmission shopping. I wouldn't pay more than 600-700 for a used LT1 T56. The T56 is a very "forgiving" transmission. It can have several problems in the works, while still operating perfectly. It would just be a matter of time before it starts grinding or popping out of gear....might be one month, or 20 months. The point is that you never know what you're getting when buying a used "older" tranny. On the flip side, if the deal is good enough then go for it.
In the long run, you're better off buying a built/warrantied/upgraded T56. I sell them for $1900 outright, but rarely have them in stock due to the high demand. If you can find one for $400-600 and then get it built, then you'll have a chance of coming out ahead.
BTW, I think I have an LT1 bellhousing and pedals maybe. If I do then $180 for it all. Good luck
Thanks for all the good info. I completely agree on rebuilding any used tranny. I just can't afford it right now so I'm stuck looking for used. I am very interested in the bellhousing and pedals. I have to reply to a few people on full swaps and if we can't make a deal I will definately buy those from you. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowmaro95Z28
Thanks for all the good info. I completely agree on rebuilding any used tranny. I just can't afford it right now so I'm stuck looking for used. I am very interested in the bellhousing and pedals. I have to reply to a few people on full swaps and if we can't make a deal I will definately buy those from you. Thanks again for all the help.
I have a bellhousing but no pedals. Hit me up with a PM if you want it.

Quick Reply: LT1 A4 to M6 swap. Does anyone sell a kit?