Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My LS7 seems to do pretty well. I mostly play from rolls but I put down around 550rwhp when on the jug . It takes it like a champ.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh really? i like hearing that, what hydraulics are you running?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm running a tick adjustable MC, GM slave. Only thing I am going to change is going to an aluminum flywheel.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bjamick
My LS7 seems to do pretty well. I mostly play from rolls but I put down around 550rwhp when on the jug . It takes it like a champ.
Nice thats pretty good bro for those numbers!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

The LS7 clutch is nothing more than a glorified stock clutch. It uses a stock pressure plate with the crappy adjusters. This makes the LS7 clutch very finicky, as it can get knocked out of adjustment very easily. It's much better to use a clutch with a pressure plate that has no adjusters. They are completely un-necessary, and jsut leave more room for error. The disc has more surface area than the stock LS1/6 disc, which is good. Then the flywheel is cast iron but even heavier than the 23-lb stocker in the LS1/6 kit.

If you want something near-stock, then you can buy a Diamond Stage 1 which uses a much stronger pressure plate (non-adjustable), with a very-similar disc to the LS7. It has better friction material with the same surface area as the LS7. This kit is just $349 shipped, and you can get your stock flywheel resurfaced for $35 or so. So under 400 bucks and stronger than the LS7.

Don't get me wrong though. There are a lot of people out the with the LS7 and it works great. But on the other hand there are also a lot of people having a lot of issues with the LS7. Based on what I've read here on the forum, and my own experience, about 80% work perfectly, and the other 20% have nothing but problems. That is way too great of a failure rate.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do any other changes have to be made to the stock flywheel (besides resurfacing) or can you just slap it on?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TDP
The LS7 clutch is nothing more than a glorified stock clutch. It uses a stock pressure plate with the crappy adjusters. This makes the LS7 clutch very finicky, as it can get knocked out of adjustment very easily. It's much better to use a clutch with a pressure plate that has no adjusters. They are completely un-necessary, and jsut leave more room for error. The disc has more surface area than the stock LS1/6 disc, which is good. Then the flywheel is cast iron but even heavier than the 23-lb stocker in the LS1/6 kit.

If you want something near-stock, then you can buy a Diamond Stage 1 which uses a much stronger pressure plate (non-adjustable), with a very-similar disc to the LS7. It has better friction material with the same surface area as the LS7. This kit is just $349 shipped, and you can get your stock flywheel resurfaced for $35 or so. So under 400 bucks and stronger than the LS7.

Don't get me wrong though. There are a lot of people out the with the LS7 and it works great. But on the other hand there are also a lot of people having a lot of issues with the LS7. Based on what I've read here on the forum, and my own experience, about 80% work perfectly, and the other 20% have nothing but problems. That is way too great of a failure rate.
Or u can just get a new alumn flywheel if u want
Old 07-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Had mine in for a few months now and its seen some track time. 02 WS6 LT's, ORY, 4.10, lid, tune and works great.

I tried a comp stage 1 clutch and had it changed out twice because of the chattering. threw in the LS7 clutch/flywheel and it has a great stock feel for daily driving and holds up well at the track. I would recommend for a dd any day
Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the consensus on resurfacing the flywheel on a LS1? I have been told that you can resurface an Lt1 flywheel but not an Ls1...that it has to be new every time you do a clutch swap.

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch