Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LS7 Clutch

Any likes or dislikes, looking to get one eventually, heard mixed views and opinions about them
Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

no one? lol
Old 07-10-2011, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my factory clutch started to slip I knew It was time to upgrade it.
I searched and read on the forums about clutches.
If you have a stock or mildly modified car producing under 450 HP the LS7 clutch is great for the money. You don't need to spend more on a clutch unless you are more than 450 HP....my opinion. I love mine....yes the rotating mass with the LS2/LS7 flywheel is heavier but I don't notice anything different other than my third gear chirps are louder.. I paid about $550 dollars for the clutch assembly and could not be happier with it. Way grabbier in the higher RPMS than the stock clutch the car came with. Pedal feel is a bit firmer but easy to drive in town. I also had the clutch master cylinder switched out to a Tick master and I love it.

If I was over 450 HP then I would try the dual disk LS9 clutch that the ZR1 corvette uses. I would rather buy GM than pay $1600 dollars on a pretty paint job clutch that may only last 20K miles.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine. I used an aluminum FW. It's fine for your standard heads/cam LS power levels. Feels like stock.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LS7 clutch is a great clutch for spirited street driving.
Its a good long lasting durable street clutch.

Pretty much as most stated here good for about 450 rwhp.

Not really the best clutch for constant hot lapping at the drag strip.

I had the LS7 clutch on my 2000 Pontiac Firebird with a Tick m/c.
The clutch had about 10K on it when I sold the car. It probably would have lasted at least 50K miles. I was at about 380 rwhp and I drove the car pretty hard.

I liked the LS7 clutch so much, I might put one in my 2004 C5Z06 when the time comes.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Ls7 clutch here for the past 3-4 years. Held up great for me and no issues, until I added more power. 444 hp and I believe she is done for now. Launched the car at the track on et drags and car launched, then let go. Though I was spinning, peddled it then went to grab 2nd and pedal was on floor and the beautiful rank *** smell of clutch filled the air.....

Great clutch and would buy it again if you don't see the track with sticky tires.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSmith
When my factory clutch started to slip I knew It was time to upgrade it.
I searched and read on the forums about clutches.
If you have a stock or mildly modified car producing under 450 HP the LS7 clutch is great for the money. You don't need to spend more on a clutch unless you are more than 450 HP....my opinion. I love mine....yes the rotating mass with the LS2/LS7 flywheel is heavier but I don't notice anything different other than my third gear chirps are louder.. I paid about $550 dollars for the clutch assembly and could not be happier with it. Way grabbier in the higher RPMS than the stock clutch the car came with. Pedal feel is a bit firmer but easy to drive in town. I also had the clutch master cylinder switched out to a Tick master and I love it.

If I was over 450 HP then I would try the dual disk LS9 clutch that the ZR1 corvette uses. I would rather buy GM than pay $1600 dollars on a pretty paint job clutch that may only last 20K miles.
Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
I like mine. I used an aluminum FW. It's fine for your standard heads/cam LS power levels. Feels like stock.
Originally Posted by bearcatt
The LS7 clutch is a great clutch for spirited street driving.
Its a good long lasting durable street clutch.

Pretty much as most stated here good for about 450 rwhp.

Not really the best clutch for constant hot lapping at the drag strip.

I had the LS7 clutch on my 2000 Pontiac Firebird with a Tick m/c.
The clutch had about 10K on it when I sold the car. It probably would have lasted at least 50K miles. I was at about 380 rwhp and I drove the car pretty hard.

I liked the LS7 clutch so much, I might put one in my 2004 C5Z06 when the time comes.

Originally Posted by ski23
Ls7 clutch here for the past 3-4 years. Held up great for me and no issues, until I added more power. 444 hp and I believe she is done for now. Launched the car at the track on et drags and car launched, then let go. Though I was spinning, peddled it then went to grab 2nd and pedal was on floor and the beautiful rank *** smell of clutch filled the air.....

Great clutch and would buy it again if you don't see the track with sticky tires.
Yea my car just has full exhaust and gears and a tune, makes 344 to the wheels on mustang dyno, so nothing crazy, its an everyday driver, i have 41k on the car, and my stock clutch gives me some issues slipping up top sometimes when it gets hot, so i guess eventually i need to change it, does the LS7 Clutch kit come with an alunminum flywheel or do u have to get that sepreratley?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

I bought the ls7 kit. It comes with a steel ls2 flywheel. I didn't notice any difference with the heavier flywheel.

I was having clutch pedal sticking to the floor issues years ago. Changed master, did drill mod and still had troubles. Did the ls7 clutch kit with new slave an never had a problem again, till now. The clutch had several 5k+ track launches on sticky tires and ran high 11s for 2 years. Buy one!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was going for the LS7 but the Diamond clutch is only about $100 more when it's on sale and it's good for 600rwhp. I'm holding out for that, but I'll be close to 450rwhp and don't feel like testing the limits of the LS7. It may be fine but for an extra $100 it seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Teching In

I've had an LS7 clutch about 8 months now, i like it.

the only thing I've noticed, is that when the car is cold, basically, the first time i let out on the clutch, i always get a little burnt clutch smell in the car. for example, backing out of my driveway, or backing out of a parking spot. it only does it the very first time i let out, and generally only backing up where i ride it a little, but once the car is warm, its all good.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's weird it shouldn't do that, at least I wouldn't think so
Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

I smelt mine pretty bad for a while. I babied it for 500 miles to brake it in. After that I got on it a few times and once it got hot I would smell it. Ran it at the track and smelt it pretty bad. After a few months it went away. Ive had it in for over a year now and its held up fine. Im only putting down 340-350whp. I do feel that the clutch slips after WOT hitting second gear in the upper RPMs. Maybe its just me. I have the Alum Flywheel.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmartin8
I smelt mine pretty bad for a while. I babied it for 500 miles to brake it in. After that I got on it a few times and once it got hot I would smell it. Ran it at the track and smelt it pretty bad. After a few months it went away. Ive had it in for over a year now and its held up fine. Im only putting down 340-350whp. I do feel that the clutch slips after WOT hitting second gear in the upper RPMs. Maybe its just me. I have the Alum Flywheel.
Where did u order the alum flywheel from? wut kind is it?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Level 1 Monster is a superior clutch to the LS7 from disc to pressure plate it uses stronger diaphragm springs with a higher clamp load and a carbon/organic disc with a higher coefficient of friction allowing it to confidently hold more power. Combine it with the 18lb Billet Flywheel to free up power to the rear wheels without the fear of warping the steel insert of an aluminum flywheel.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
Where did u order the alum flywheel from? wut kind is it?
you can find them most places that sell clutches, i dont know who the sponsors here are so i wont list names
Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

I went from stock to LS2 then LS7 after the LS2 burned up due to oil contamination from the rear seal leaking. I thought I fixed the leak. And now I have only seen it slip with 4 ppl in the car with the still ongoing rear seal leaking at WOT once or twice. I like it for the price and the pedal feels lighter than stock to me. I bought it in 2008.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onecamaro1
I went from stock to LS2 then LS7 after the LS2 burned up due to oil contamination from the rear seal leaking. I thought I fixed the leak. And now I have only seen it slip with 4 ppl in the car with the still ongoing rear seal leaking at WOT once or twice. I like it for the price and the pedal feels lighter than stock to me. I bought it in 2008.
ok i think my choice is made, LS7 it is! thanks guys
Old 07-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Teching In

i think its the best choice when trying to balance money and performance.

some of the higher performing ones tend to not work will with daily driving, chatter, hard on the left leg, etc
Old 07-14-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spikito
i think its the best choice when trying to balance money and performance.

some of the higher performing ones tend to not work will with daily driving, chatter, hard on the left leg, etc
very true, i tend to hear this all the time
Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the LS7 clutch in my car since spring 2007. Fall of 2007 the TT setup went on and have been driving the car ever since. Over 20k on the set-up. I DD the car in the warmer weather and love it. Never had a problem. Made 8 passes at the track one rental we had a few years back. I am on street tires though. Not sure how it would survive with a sticky tire. Due to still being on the 10 bolt, I am not about to find out just yet either.

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch