Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster level 3 came apart....ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont buy used junk and expect a warranty. Even if it looks new.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah Dave, just don't buy used clutches. I should have known from passed experiences but the parts looked great. The way the rivets pulled threw is what got me thinking. I was over it when I pulled it out and found it, I was just happy it wasn't the tranny.
What upsets me is the fact that they put the blame on everything else but the clutch. And asked me too send it too them, at my cost.....I have lost enough money on this deal so I am not going too lose another cent on it.

Chris
Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just curious as to what the telltale signs of something like this happening are? I have about 1500 miles on my monster stage 3 and it holds great but still chatters very badly, and my car has 4.30 gears on a 26" tire. So I would think the chatter would be minimal. Now Im wondering if I have clutch issues.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
I'm just curious as to what the telltale signs of something like this happening are? I have about 1500 miles on my monster stage 3 and it holds great but still chatters very badly, and my car has 4.30 gears on a 26" tire. So I would think the chatter would be minimal. Now Im wondering if I have clutch issues.
It chattered alot, I mean alot.Then I put my LS6 intake on, took it for a ride and shifting became very difficult.I bled the system and adjusted master cylinder.I had very little play in the clutch but it engaged and disengaged.I didnt drive it after that until I had to move it from my wifes house to mine.Was shifting fairly decent and then all the sudden I lost everything.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ride mine a bit when it starts to chatter bad. That seems to help for a while till it does it again. I can see where chatter or wheel hop could contribute to the rivets tearing the heads off. Puck style clutches grip like hell but they have some bad manners as a trade off.
Hey Lx, did the PP get torn up when the disk came apart?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Hey Dave, the PP is fine and so is the flywheel.I didnt try to drive it or even start it up after that.It had a really bad vibration so I didnt want to chance anything else going.I actually thought the input shaft broke but am thank ful it wasnt.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 AM
FormerVendor

I apologize about the confusion on dates, I was discussing another customers purchase and got it confused with yours. You spoke to my salesman Chris, not me.

What I'm saying is that if the clutch disc was defective from us it wouldn't last more than 50 miles, not to mention the 1200 or so miles you have on it now. I've been doing this a long time, things happen and if there is even a small area of gray we will cover it. What you want me to do is warranty a product you didn't buy from me, that was used, and that I cannot attest to the condition of. You didn't like the outcome of our conversation and therefore you were upset. Threatening me that "bad news travels fast" isn't going to change my mind, the clutch warranty doesn't transfer, end of story.

Signs of this happening are severe chatter for around 20 or so miles and then the disc would come apart, this is if the rivets are not pressed correctly. There are numerous things that can go wrong with installation, driver error, and other related part failure that could cause this and have absolutely nothing to do with the clutch disc itself.

You can go over the hundreds of threads that praise Monster for our performance and our warranty/customer service. I'm a very customer service oriented person, and I run my clutch company as such. However, when you buy a used product and expect me to warranty it with this much gray area I just can't do it.

Good luck with your future endeavors, I think this thread is more than done.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Yes this thread was done long time ago, well I thought it was.... I never once said I wanted you to warranty anything, as you can tell from my first post I just wanted to know what would cause this.I could care less about a replacement, thats already been taken care of.Its the fact that you blame everything on installation and so fourth but not the actual clutch.A stage 3 clutch is going to chatter regardless of 20 miles or 20,000 miles, just from past experience.

Chris
Old 09-03-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Were you able to get a new disk for it or just tossing it?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Lxtasy1
Yes this thread was done long time ago, well I thought it was.... I never once said I wanted you to warranty anything, as you can tell from my first post I just wanted to know what would cause this.I could care less about a replacement, thats already been taken care of.Its the fact that you blame everything on installation and so fourth but not the actual clutch.A stage 3 clutch is going to chatter regardless of 20 miles or 20,000 miles, just from past experience.

Chris
There are entirely too many variables in your situation for me to say without a doubt that it's a failure due to the manufacturing end of things. Whether you want to hear that or not it's my diagnoses. I'm not going to say it's the manufacturers issue if, by the information provided, nothing points to a manufacturers defect. While your opinion may be that it is a fault of Monster the information provided does not.

There are plenty of Level 3's out there with 20,000+ miles that don't chatter. Chatter comes down to having a glaze built up (from excessively slipping and not breaking it loose), fluid contamination, or inefficient break in and none of those are manufacturers defect. We still take care of a handful of customers that have excessive chatter issues, we'll send them new discs and explain to them how to break the unit in, etc.

Saying things like "bad news travels fast" would be pointless if you didn't want something from us...
Old 09-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Here we go again, back to square one. Read what I initially wrote, if your so concerned why it came apart pm me an address and I will send it to you. I already ate several hundred dollars on this episode so what's another 10 bucks?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Banned

Dang fellas. I hope this really isnt that nasty. Yes it sucks it blew apart, yes its hard to tell what it really had done but we dont need to get testy about it. Im sure we can all come to a common ground. bol
Old 09-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Talking wooww really

dude stop bitching cuz your DUMBASS bout a USED clutch why the hell would you do this i mean come on dude think about it WHO SELLS A CLUTCH USED ONE WHO KNOWS HE SCREWED IT UP AND WANTS TO MAKE MONEY TO FUND A NEW ONE THINK ABOUT MAN:bang :
Old 09-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Staging Lane

I don't post much but I can't take this. You buy a USED performance part and you expect the builder to honor a warranty on a USED perfomance part? Your self entitlement demands need to be nipped in the bud.

This is like screwing a nasty ho' and gettin' crabs and then blaming the ho's mom for birthing her.

Suck it up and quit blaming the clutch company. Even if it is defective it does not matter. USED performance parts have ZERO warranty.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Haha Dirtydeed and big johnny, when did you ever see me say anything I wanted a refund or warranty about the clutch? I could care less about the money, its just the principle that they had to blame everything but the clutch.

Yeah I see why you dont post much there johnny, maybe because you have nothing of importantance to say.Once again, read the entire thread before you start popping your nasty ho sucking mouth off, deal?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess no one in here can read properly. HE DID NOT ASK FOR IT TO BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY! A simple question just as to how it happened. I know there is a lot of variables, but if its been know to happen with a "handful of others" it would help diagnose the problem. Hell if they said it was just the clutches fault and it was actually something in the drivetrain, and he puts a new clutch in and the same thing happens, what is he supposed to think other than its another bad clutch.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any idea what a new disk would cost for it? If the PP and the flywheel arent hurt, maybe it'd be worth it? And FWIW, I apologize for popping off about the warranty comment.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Lxtasy1
Here we go again, back to square one. Read what I initially wrote, if your so concerned why it came apart pm me an address and I will send it to you. I already ate several hundred dollars on this episode so what's another 10 bucks?
PM sent
Old 09-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Teching In

I apologize to the whole board for this going this far.I never wanted a warranty for something.But then you have your little ban wagon of idiots who want to pop thier mouth of to something that doesnt even pertain to them.

Dave, we all cool man.You never got under my skin.This is my very first GM product and I am learning as I go.I have had several built Mustangs and have built several fast mustangs but now I have chose something new.

Chris
Old 09-05-2011, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
Any idea what a new disk would cost for it? If the PP and the flywheel arent hurt, maybe it'd be worth it? And FWIW, I apologize for popping off about the warranty comment.
We already discussed this over the phone.

Last edited by SNLPerformance; 09-05-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Monster level 3 came apart....ideas?