Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster level 3 came apart....ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster level 3 came apart....ideas?

I bought this set up used.Took a couple months for me to get it installed and lasted less then 200 miles. I was told everything had less then 1000 miles on it and it wasnt all beat up.I also put a Tick built T-56 in with an almost new slave cylinder.The master cylinder was brand new from Tick.
What would cause a clutch to come apart like this? My car is basically stock with the exception of long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust and LS-6 intake. I didnt even get to take it to get tuned because of the drivetrain issues I have been having.

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Monster level 3 came apart....ideas?-clutch-disc.jpg   Monster level 3 came apart....ideas?-disc-hub.jpg   Monster level 3 came apart....ideas?-hub-cenetr.jpg   Monster level 3 came apart....ideas?-hub-springs.jpg  
Old 08-28-2011, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

honestly call monster... they might want the clutch back for a possible defect issue (NOT SAYING THERE IS)... and might cut you a deal on a new setup!!... call them there A++ people
Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

Holly ****! This is why I don't buy used parts.

Good luck man. I hope SNL is able to help you out.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I typically have anyone that contacts us about their purchase of one of our units used send it to us for inspection.

There are numerous things that can lead to a hub letting go like this.

Give us a call and we'll go over a few things with you.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Teching In

I hear ya Blwn, this was a lesson well learned.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Teching In

SNL....I typically don't go around looking for suggestions from vendors when buying something from a member. I research that member.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Lxtasy1
SNL....I typically don't go around looking for suggestions from vendors when buying something from a member. I research that member.
Odds are pretty good that the generosity of said vendor with their time is going to provide you more relevant product wear / failure information at this point in the game than going back to the selling member.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmd
Odds are pretty good that the generosity of said vendor with their time is going to provide you more relevant product wear / failure information at this point in the game than going back to the selling member.

Kinda, I just dont see how a clutch comes apart when everything is new.I am over it, I got the short end of the stick and learned a lesson, simple as that.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Looks like my old RAM clutch that came apart with 2500 miles on it.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Yeah I had a center force clutch come apart on me like that once. Stood behind it even out of warranty.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

had a monster stage 3 do exactly that, was cruisin at 70mph in 6th and it just fell apart. Was brand new at the time with maybe 800 miles on it.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xRelapse13
had a monster stage 3 do exactly that, was cruisin at 70mph in 6th and it just fell apart. Was brand new at the time with maybe 800 miles on it.
Yeah I was only doing about 55-60 when mine went.I was just about to shift into 6th when it let loose.Even though it was used it should have never came apart like it did, everything was brand new to begin with.As far as break in peroids everyone talks about, I highly doubt someone who races thier car is going to break a clutch in "the correct way". With only long tubes, exhaust and LS6 intake I am sure I dont have nearly the power it should have taken to rip the hub out.

Chris
Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 PM
FormerVendor

Discs don't just come apart, things have to occur that make that happen. We will warranty things for the original purchaser as long as the fault isn't blatantly on the customer. This has happened a handful of times out of the thousands of clutches we've sold.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Teching In

When everything is new from the start the only reason a disc would spin the hub out is from poor manufacturing. And wouldn't there be alot more damage too the other components if a problem was elsewhere? Everything else is fine.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Lxtasy1
When everything is new from the start the only reason a disc would spin the hub out is from poor manufacturing. And wouldn't there be alot more damage too the other components if a problem was elsewhere? Everything else is fine.
If everything is new from the start then you're right. I never said we were perfect. Your case is a bit different, the clutch wasn't new. You bought a pre-owned clutch from someone. I have no idea what the condition of his pilot bearing, input shaft, etc. was when he installed it and nor do you. I have no idea if the input shaft was forced through the disc in either of your installations. I could go on and on.

If you were the original purchaser this would be a little different story, there is just too much gray area in the situation for me to warranty something like this.

As I said before, we've had this happen literally a handful of times, a couple of those were on us and we took care of the customer. Discs don't just fall apart, and if they do fail because of something we did it is typically within a couple of minutes of driving the vehicle, not a couple thousand miles.

If you would like to discuss this further feel free to call me, 817-750-2000.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

I hate this thread, it scares me, I wish I would have known all of this before I installed my Monster stage 3.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
I hate this thread, it scares me, I wish I would have known all of this before I installed my Monster stage 3.
Really? We have a handful of issues out of over 4,000 clutches sold and that scares you?

You're fine, there is nothing wrong with the unit that you have. There are numerous things that have to occur to have this happen, most of which have tell tale signs before the disc ever gets to this point.

Keep in mind that this has happened to ~ 0.00125% of all the Monsters we've sold.

Also, keep in mind that the clutch the OP is discussing is over two years old and was purchased second hand.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Really? We have a handful of issues out of over 4,000 clutches sold and that scares you?

You're fine, there is nothing wrong with the unit that you have. There are numerous things that have to occur to have this happen, most of which have tell tale signs before the disc ever gets to this point.

Keep in mind that this has happened to ~ 0.00125% of all the Monsters we've sold.

Also, keep in mind that the clutch the OP is discussing is over two years old and was purchased second hand.
It was 15 months old, well that was what you had told me on the phone when we had spoken.And it sat in my garage for approx. 3-4 months before I had the time to get it installed.As I told you on the phone when we talked Monday the orginal buyer blew his engine, blowing an engine would not cause damage to a clutch, unless the crank was shot through the back.If that would have been the case the trans would have been damaged also, the Tick rebuilt trans is doing great.

As I stated above, everything was new when the orginal purchaser installed it.And I made sure I had a new pilot bearing installed when it was installed into my car, that is just common sense.Along with a new rear main seal.

All I orginally asked is why the disc came apart, you seem to have an issue with following this thread trying to come up with excuses on why it came apart.It came apart and it is simple as that, just look at the pics.I put less then 200 miles on it since the install and had to have to towed to my house.

This is not my first dealings with a clutch that has came apart but this is my first and last dealing with Monster clutches.I am aware things happen but dont put the blame on everything else that could go wrong when everything was installed new from the beginning.

No one should be scared to use your products, but when you see multiple threads with Monster clutch issues you need to tread very lightly on how you handle the situations.Remember I said "bad news travles faster then good news" on the phone?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jetaws6 had a spring fail on his new monster 3 and monster sent him a new one, so I know they take care of their customers. If you look in everyones signatures many people are running monster clutches without any problems you may have just got a bad one.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

This thread went the opposite way I thought it would.

Quick Reply: Monster level 3 came apart....ideas?