Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cartek clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cartek clutch

Ok here is the story...im puttin a 224 in my car and am having the clutch replaced...Cartek wants to use there own which i dont know much about. I did a search and have heard mixed reations about it. I just wanna put somethin in it and not worry about it. The other thing is that i dont wanna **** off the guys at cartek. they want like $1400 for parts balancing and installation. I thought that it was alittle high. I was thinkin about maybe gettin a spec 3 or something similar. I just wanna put something in and not worry about without havin dave get mad either.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

ill put my 2 cents in as i have a cartech set up got everything from them and there adjustbale master, i like it peadle feels like stock and the thing grabs took a while to get use too it cause when it grabed it grabed, been on there got about 10 thousand miles now 5 thousand with heads and cam, and it holding good anough too bust my 10bolt on the street at a stop sign, and all cartech vetts run it and have some of the fastes head cam c5 out there, i read mixed things about all clutches so i guess it goes too whatu really want
Old 03-08-2004, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had a Cartek clutch. Many miles, numerous 6k+ dumps, it *never* flinched. I did like it a lot. I ran it when my car was stock, cam-only, then behind the solid roller motor. The only reason I pulled it out is because it's not SFI approved/rated, and there's a chance it will explode (it has happened - do a search). I didn't feel comfortable with that aspect, so I went with a Ram VDS/910 setup (which has an SFI sticker). I regularly drag my car, spinning to 7200+ RPM, so SFI/safety is most definitely a concern to me.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Teching In

I own a Cartek clutch and can give you the good and bad on it...

The good:
I've got twenty thousand miles on mine and it has never slipped once. My car makes over 500 to the wheels with N2O and I have never babied my car. The pedal pressure feels like stock and the hotter the clutch gets, the better it grabs. There is almost no chatter and my wife--who is no racer--can drive the car in rush hour traffic.

The bad:
The car squeals like a raped cat upon engagement for the first 5 minutes of driving. Granted my clutch is probably getting pretty worn out (20k hard miles).

Overall grade: B

This clutch is not a bad choice, but most of my friends here in Las Vegas use the Spec Stage 3 set up. Would I do it over again....yes.

The only thing that gets me here is the $1400 installation charge. It is WAYYYYYY TOOOO MUCCCCHHH for a clutch install. I did my own in about 5 hours and I have never done a clutch on an f-body before!
Old 03-08-2004, 05:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Works like a champ for me! I'd highly recommend it!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't feel I got the life out of mine I should have for the price. It just didn't seem worth it. It was a great clutch, and truly grabbed like a ****, but I have the Spec stage III now, and I hope to get much more out of it.

Is that $1400 just for the installation, or for the clutch and installation? If it's the latter, then that's a pretty good deal, assuming you got a new flywheel. If not, FUGGETABOUTIT! That is insane!
Old 03-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Launching!

thats crazy i got the spec with the new x pad w billit steel flywheel and installed for 950 at eastside performance
Old 03-09-2004, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

It was like $13xx for parts and labor.....the only thing i didnt like about the deal was that it was a resurfased not new flywheel. If there clutch will hold more power and last relatively as long as the compitition...i have no problem going with it and paying a little more for a better part. i know im being a pain, but this is nothing, you should watch me try to pick out an oil filter for the car!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

You think that cartek will get insulted if i ask them to put in a spec or ram (not saying i am just curious)? I mean i dont want them to think i dont trust there stuff, just that little sticker may make me sleep better after a long day of abuse.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They won't care, but they'll probably try to persuade you to use theirs. As long as you pay them the labor, I'm sure they'll put it in! Who cares if they're insulted.

Quick Reply: cartek clutch