Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

28 lbs vs 18 lbs flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28 lbs vs 18 lbs flywheel?

I am thinking about buying the monster stage 3 clutch package. I was considering getting the light weight flywheel option. Are there any advantages to getting the light weight flywheel or is getting the billet steel better? Car is only street driven for now, but once if I can ever afford a rear end it will go to track from time to time. Any opinion appreciated...
Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alexus6798
I am thinking about buying the monster stage 3 clutch package. I was considering getting the light weight flywheel option. Are there any advantages to getting the light weight flywheel or is getting the billet steel better? Car is only street driven for now, but once if I can ever afford a rear end it will go to track from time to time. Any opinion appreciated...
I have the stage 3 clutch and 18lb flywheel. I can tell you that it does take some getting used to in regards to how you take off. I typically blip the throttle a little before letting the clutch out on take off. Before I could let it out at idle w/o killing the car. I still can but it takes a little more finesse.

There are a lot of people on here that will tell you it will kill your holeshot abilities and in an all out drag race that may hold some merit but in my opionin, that which is gained by the lose in reciprocating mass is much greater.

Its been so long since I changed mine that I dont even notice it anymore but I do remember a difference in the way the RPM's would jump between the old vs. the new and it was a big difference.

You'll also hear a lot of people say that cars with lightweight flywheels are a nightmare for city driving. Like I said, I dont even notice mine anymore. I bet you would be used to it in less than a week. Personally I wish I would have gone with an even lighter aluminum one instead.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay. That's what I was getting at. I city drive mine often but not DD. I plan on getting a tick master also, so I know it will take some getting used to. Just want something that will hold up with a lot of city drivinf and occasional street racing and track use. I plan on geting a 9" eventually so I can see how this thing really performs...
Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did just fine with mine and I had more traction issues than I did with the lighter flywheel on the launches, yes it would probably hurt your 60ft on a drag but to me it made the car seem a little more nimble and I had no problems driving in the city
Old 09-28-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anymore opinions???
Old 09-28-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with kyoyte 1963. it is a little different to drive around town with and takes some getting used to. but i dont notice it anymore.

also-i think some lower gears in the rear help your car get moving easier and not so bad on the clutch on takeoff...i have 3.89's in the 9inch. but i havent drove with a monster and a 3.42 10 bolt.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

get the lightweight , i have a 28lber and i hate it now , the car revs so damn slow .
Old 09-28-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, thanks guys for the comments.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We offer both the 28lb and the 18lb with all Monster Clutches, and our Tick & Monster COMPLETE Clutch Swap Package, seen here for LS1 F-Body: http://www.tickperformance.com/ls1-f...-swap-package/

I generally suggest guys who daily drive or drag race their cars stick with the 28lb flywheel as it is the stock weight, so there are no driving style changes or loss of rotational mass (which is crucial to getting you out of the hole at the track).

I suggest the 18lb for guys who road race or autocross and need a little quicker RPM pickup off the corners. It does require some driving style changes, but most get used to the new way the engine revs (and comes down in RPM) fairly quickly.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I've gone from a 58 lbs clutch assembly (pressure plate + friction disc + flywheel) to one that weighs 33 lbs - the difference was night and day in how the engine revs and how it feels on the street. It can be driven in heavy traffic without a problem, but it did take some getting used to. I'll likely never go back to a heavier setup after driving this for a while.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by alexus6798
anymore opinions???
The lighter the better. My whole clutch/flywheel weighs 17lb....I wish it weighted 10.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joey@Tick
We offer both the 28lb and the 18lb with all Monster Clutches, and our Tick & Monster COMPLETE Clutch Swap Package, seen here for LS1 F-Body: http://www.tickperformance.com/ls1-f...-swap-package/

I generally suggest guys who daily drive or drag race their cars stick with the 28lb flywheel as it is the stock weight, so there are no driving style changes or loss of rotational mass (which is crucial to getting you out of the hole at the track).

I suggest the 18lb for guys who road race or autocross and need a little quicker RPM pickup off the corners. It does require some driving style changes, but most get used to the new way the engine revs (and comes down in RPM) fairly quickly.
Thanks, well I don't plan on doing any autocrossing so I will stick with stock weight. Plus my manual expertise is not the best so I need all the help i can get.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i wish i went lightweight when i did mine this spring , im pissed now that i realize how heavy it is in this car . I really cant stand it .
Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

I have the diamond stage 2 clutch with the light weight flywheel in my camaro. Ms3 cam, 4.11 gears in my 12 bolt on a 28" tire.

from a idle, you hafto either slip the clutch more, or give it a little bit more throttle. Doesnt bother me.

Launching at 4k on the streets, it handles it like a champ. Car deff. doesnt bogg down like it did with the stock flywheel. Revvs out quicker too.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alum is to light, the 18lb is a great compromise, rev's better (compared to stock 28lb) and you will get use to it in a couple of weeks. went from stock to alum then to 18Lb and I am staying with it.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but in a traction limited car wouldn't a lighter flywheel improve your 60foot time at the track by hitting the tires with less inertia which would reduce tire spin.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

different setups require different parts... lots of people claim light flywheels dont work.... when I had 430 rwhp, my 15 lB flywheel go me consistant 1.42 60's and it ran 10.95..... It's more about wheel speed on the launch, and not bogging, launch high enough and you wont bog...
Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agre with badd SS, I originally had my 18lb flywheel in my 3000 pound vette, I knew the 28 pound was probably overkill for a car that light and I was right it fit Perfect with my setup and i still spun off the line with M/T sportsmans on bolt on ls1 hp. however my suspension had alot to do with that.

point is the car was still barking the tires on hard shifts up to 4th gear so there was plenty of inertia left.

IMO I would go with the light flywheel unless you really need that extra few thenths out of the hole on a build drag car, but for all around performance and drivability I would go with the 18, you will also see improvments on gas milage as well.

Go with what you feel comfterble with, but if you switch to a monster stage 3 or above clutch anyways you are going to need to change your driving style anyways so why not switch the flywheel at the same time.

I am also reusing the same flywheel on my 418 ls3 and since my car will wind up being a few hundred pounds lighter than stock I think it will work out just fine. I will be launching very high and have a 9 inch, its all about matching the right tires that will prevent it from bogging down and maybe give it just a tad of wheel spin for the 6 speed
Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think clutch companies should re-word their statements.

Instead of:
28lbs for DD & Drag
18lbs for Autocross

It should be:
28lbs for Drag
18lbs for DD & Autocross

Nothing wrong with easier revs, easier down shifts and less rotational mass in a DD... IMHO. I even dragged it a couple times a year... no issues.

Only time i dont recommend going lightweight is for strictly drag cars, or high HP turbo applications. Ive had a couple lightweight flywheels give out in high rpms under boost on the turbo camaro. Havent had that issue with the steel ones. I will probably take Monsters word and try their lightweight on the next 11" I order. They say its supposed to hold... and they have yet to do anything less then amaze me. Then I might be singing a different tune!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

i went with the 18lb'er for a daily driven car. I put it in during an M6 swap so i don't have a before and after, but i can't imagine using anything else. The RPM's rise and fall very predictably. Im very happy with it and for $50, its definitely worth it.

Quick Reply: 28 lbs vs 18 lbs flywheel?