Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Worth rebuilding just to sell? lt1 T56

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth rebuilding just to sell? lt1 T56

Soo basically I have a few options at this point, but the goal is to have a good transmission in my LT1 car for cheap.

Right now it has the original stock T56 with 120k miles. It could use a rebuild... pops out of reverse and it's starting to grind sometimes. So i went ahead and bought a good used stock T56 for cheap and planned to sell the old one and swap in the new one and call it a day. Now i have the opportunity to rebuild one in a transmissions class i'm taking under the supervision of a very experience instructor. I haven't rebuilt a manual trans before.

I figure I'd spend roughly $1,000 in parts to rebuild my old trans. Say the old trans as is is worth $400 + $1000 in parts. Do you think anyone would buy it for $1400? Or would I loose money by rebuilding it myself and selling it?

Or.... I could spend say, $300 to upgrade (steel shift fork and basic kit) my new (used) trans and sell the old one. Would it be stupid not to spend $600 on the whole rebuild kit even though it works fine?