Inconsistant clutch :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inconsistant clutch :(

[Edit: sorry for letting this turn into a book]

Hey guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here. I've noticed a multitude of similar threads regarding clutch issues, but I was unable to find one that coincided with my predicament. If an Identical issue/solution has been presented here, I'm sorry for the redundancy. I have an '00 z28 and I'm hoping someone can provide a guess as to what may be the problem with my clutch!

I began having issues with it around the beginning of this summer where the clutch had become completely unpredictable. It would fully engage at the top of the pedal, or a half inch off the floor. It was anyone's guess. This issue was most evident at launch, where I might be struggling to keep the car running, or giving it an abundance of gas, or somewhere in between. After the launch, shifting wasn't a big deal if my shifts remained smooth.

So, I replaced the master cylinder and performed the drill mod. After I finally got the system bled (I didn't have a mighty vac yet), the clutch seemed perfect. I was ecstatic!

After another month or so I began experiencing the same-ish issue. This time I actually had a leak in the system. The leak was at the shaft where the goofy quick connect plug connects to the slave. I might have caused this myself in battling with that silly slow connect plug when I replaced the master cylinder.

So, I replaced the slave. I had a very difficult time bleeding it after everything was reassembled, so I harbor freighted myself a wannabe mighty vac. The vacuum bleeding method worked like a charm and once again the clutch seemed absolutely perfect!

A few months later (the present) I'm having the same darn issue. The clutch seems 'random'-ish. It continues to engage whenever the heck it pleases.

Upon further inspection this time, the occurrence of the variable clutch seems to be predictable, kinda. If its working okay-ish and I have a sloppy shift, it goes to poop. The next few shifts/launches are horrendous where I'm only using 50% (or in most cases even less) of the clutch pedal's range of motion to engage the clutch. The remaining % of clutch pedal's range is essentially resistance-less. As a result the clutch will sometimes not come back up on its own, which is annoying, but not as annoying as the clutch engaging at random lol.

Pumping the clutch doesn't really seem to improve the situation. It doesn't make it worse, but if it helps at all, its a miniscule amount.

I can also make the clutch behave by putting it under some stress. I drove about a mile on a country road in 2nd at about 5500 RPM during which time I didn't shift or touch the clutch. When I went to put it in 3rd, I noticed that the pedal was 'right there' and acted exactly as it should. After this the clutch was darn near perfect for the rest of the day. However, it held true that if I had a sloppy shift, the clutch's predictability would decrease, but it was by a far less significant degree.

The same thing can be achieved over the duration of my drive to/from school, which is about 60 minutes on the highway in 6th gear (with no clutch usage).

Adversely, I can drive for hours through areas where I am occasionally (or frequently) using the clutch and with utter disregard to the quality of my shifting, the clutch's consistency refuses to improve.

The quality of the first shift of the day seems to be dependent upon the state in which the clutch resided at the end of the previous day. That is, it could be perfect, or dreadful. Furthermore, this could be my imagination but it *seems* as if the temperature *may* play a role as well. I'm in Chicago and the mornings have been around 40 degrees lately, which *seems* to make it worse.

I believe that the system is leak-free. That is, the level of fluid in the reservoir has not decreased in the last couple of months. I also obtain no air bubbles if I try and mighty vac the system.

I would like to extend a hearty thank you to anyone that was relentless enough to trudge through my wall of text and I would greatly appreciate any advice that may be bestowed unto me!
Ryan
Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not the same but is the same. I had this problem on an 01 F150. I changed the clutch and slave and was forever bleeding the system. Every time I would bleed it would work great for a couple of days. I finally I got tired and sold the truck and bought a new one.

Do you think you are somehow getting air into the lines?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What clutch is being used? If you have the stock pressure-plate (or another self-adjusting type plate) then this could cause your issue. These plates are known for inconsistency which can result from an SAC mechanism that is not functioning properly.

Quick Reply: Inconsistant clutch :(