Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3 problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec 3 problems

ok when i bought the car the owner said the spec 3 only had 5k on it, it was very stiff and absolutely no slippage at all, then it started to make a moaning squeeling noise and now the pedal has a little play at the top, making a rattling noise at 2k. what do you guys think?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Banned

It just started doing this stuff all of the sudden?

A Spec 3 is going to be grabby to begin with. The noise you are hearing is probably the gears in the transmission rattling from the camshaft idle along with the more rigid type clutch in the car.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

it started with the moaning and squeeling a short time ago, when i am slipping the clutch to take off, right as i feel it start to move the car, i dont drive it but every weekend or so and this last time it has been 2 weeks since i drove it, when i parked it 2 weeks ago i had the moaning squeeling symptoms but i took it out to wash it yesterday and around 2k it vibrates and sounds like something is loose and clanging. i dont think its the clutch cause it seems to perform well with no slippage. some guys at work suggested i t may be the bellhousing bolts loose??
Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

A Stage 3 will smooth out a bit as it seats and it can make some noise during engagement as a result of the metallic component of its facing. Sound during engagement can also happen as a result of glazing, as would be caused from riding the pedal or slipping it more during release than is needed. The "clainging" sound is something you will need to assess further. It could be relative to gear-noise (as one would expect with a lighter assembly) but it is hard to know without digging a bit deeper. Check it out and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

i will when it stops raining here. kinda sounds like the dust cover rattling...that kind of metallic clang, not sure but i will look into it, if the bellhousing bolts were loose wouldnt i notice more drastic symptoms?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

It depends on how loose they are. While you check it out make sure the dowel-pins, that center the bell-housing, are in place too.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

ok, will do. it seems to really perform better after i launch it or burn out a couple of times, maybe i'm taking some of the glazing off by doing that?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 AM
FormerVendor

Yes, if it were glazed and you began to drive it more aggressively it could help things relative to sound. Make sure that you don't see any evidence of a leak in the bell too because this could cause issues with glazing and eventually slipping.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

ok, will do. i really dont think it's the clutch itself but i will check all i can check without dropping it out and update this evening, thanks.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I finally got a break in the weather, jacked her up and I'm under here looking around and all the bolts are here and tight so now I'm at a loss as to what the problem is, going to retighten all of them just to be safe but boys I'm stumped on this one
Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Oki checked it out,all bolts are there and tight, I tried to tighten them more but they were pretty tight, couldn't find anything out of the ordinary other than the clutch fluid is black and needs changing, so that kinda pissed me off that I didn't find anything so I said the hell with it and hit the road, as long as I let the clutch out normal and don't try to slip it there is no squeeling/moaning noise and it grabs quick too, so I did a rolling 1st gear bang second bang third burnout, she was spinning through all 3 gears, then I did a standing 1st,2nd burnout, clutch itself works great but I still have that clanging/vibration around 2k, maybe a universal?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Universal or clutch spring broke? What would the symptoms of a broke spring be?