Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Never EVER Buy A RAM Clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Never EVER Buy A RAM Clutch!

The first one I bought from them I had professionally installed and it failed within two weeks (not slipping, some other mechanical failure) leaving my stranded.

That clutch was replaced under warranty and the replacement clutch would not disengage after being installed. After uninstalling and reinstalling THREE TIMES I finally figured that it couldn't be something I was doing so I measured the clutch and it was too thick, so they sent me another one.

The third one finally was able to disengage, but it was extremely rough on engagement, and after only 8 months and less than 6,000 miles it is already slipping! That is all street driving, no track at all. Mind you the AutoZone clutch that was in before this had almost 30,000 miles and was still holding strong when I decided to replace it with the "better" RAM clutch.

So f*ing pissed right now. F-U-RAM!!!
Thanks for listening to my rant. I feel a little better, but am still extremely unhappy.

So on that note, what clutch would you guys recommend for me? See sig for car details.

Last edited by 1quickTransAm; 11-21-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

did you install new hydraulics with it and properly shim it if needed , or measure it to see if it needed a shim??
Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I sell at least 15 ram clutches a month and never heard of any issues at all!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeFSKSpeed
Wow. I sell at least 15 ram clutches a month and never heard of any issues at all!
Really? Because I know of many people who have had issues with them. The issue with it not disengaging seems to be quite common. I searched it when I had my issue and there were a number of threads for it.

Glad your customers haven't had issues, but my experience has been more than frustrating.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
did you install new hydraulics with it and properly shim it if needed , or measure it to see if it needed a shim??
No, my old hydraulics never had a problem. What shims? I thought that the LT1's systems don't have shims and that they self-adjust?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:32 PM

Angry Same

Funny...I just bought my first Ram (HDX) after running Centerforce Dual Friction prior with no issues. Now the Ram clutch wont disengage until its damn near on the floor and sometimes grinds gears mainly 3rd & reverse it seems...Centerforce was close to the top on disengagement. Everything I'm running is the same as before with the old clutch with exception of the clucth fork which appears to be the exact same. The TOB rests just shy of the fingers and seems makes contact with fingers correctly, but still wont allow it to disengage until the floor. Extremely frustrated at the thought of pulling everything back apart!!!
I'm running a 383 stroker with a Tremec TKO 5 speed and Lakewood scattershield bellhousing (which I also hear have severe alignment & fitment issues)...all in a 68 Camaro.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

Don't sell Ram clutch products but they have always seemed to have a decent reputation. 9 times out of 10, when the clutch fails that quickly either the installation was done wrong, the break in was not done properly or there was an issue with the supporting parts like the hydraulics or clutch cable adjustment depending on the vehicle.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

My slave was working fine on my car but when I went to put the twin disc in it recently I couldn't get the trans all the way in. The slave had worn a groove in it which wouldn't let the slave bottom out. The new clutch needed the extra room. My slave only had about 6-7k on it.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by thesource
Don't sell Ram clutch products but they have always seemed to have a decent reputation. 9 times out of 10, when the clutch fails that quickly either the installation was done wrong, the break in was not done properly or there was an issue with the supporting parts like the hydraulics or clutch cable adjustment depending on the vehicle.
Yeah I just have a manual rod/z-bar with no hydraulics. I didnt have any issues when I used the Centerforce setup and used the same installation procedure. Not sure the break-in process would affect the disengagement of the clutch, especially right at the initial startup after the install. I didnt algn the bellhousing or anything either onthe Ram install but as I mentioned I did the same procedure with the Centerforce install in 2008 and I didnt have these issues...wouldve got another CF but they were out of stock.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah installation and proper break in is critical,i should know i have a ram vds rebuildable its been rebuilt twice,mainly cause i had another member from here thought he knew what he was doing (wont mention his name or he will cry), but turns out i had somebody else fix it on the first try and bam its been grabbing great since for a few thousand miles so far.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Think I did everything right but I guess you never know for sure if something little was missed. I'm not new to this and have installed clutches several times without issues though.

Not trying to unduely bash a company either. One-offs happen, but that fact that I had several back-to-back clutch issues that were 100% not my fault and now this one wearing out so quickly, I felt it was worth sharing.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

I loved ram hd clutch! Daily driver! Launched@6900 on slicks weekly! Lasted 4yrs! Only to prematurely die because of the slave
Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

I think the best one out there is Mcleod.I have never seen a better one in my 12 years on owing a fbody.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

I won't by RAM ever again either, mine went out just over a year, the clutch springs broke and fell into the pressure plate, by luck I took it out in time before it got worse. RAM warranty is only 12Kmi or 1yr. It worked fine the first year then it failed.

I'm sure this does not happen to everyone, I just don't find them reliable.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckaroooZ28
I loved ram hd clutch! Daily driver! Launched@6900 on slicks weekly! Lasted 4yrs! Only to prematurely die because of the slave
Same here. I race a ton, and wore 2 disc out and they never slipped on the street. 2step at 6500-6600 lots of wheelies, 100's of passes each year. best 60' 1.43

For what they cost, there really good.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

I had one come apart. One of the springs fell out. Was it a bad install or break in? Maybe.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

I dont know , I installed a ram HD in a cam only gto and it fell apart. The springs failed in this one also. But back in 2003 I installed one on my turbo z the hd series. rated at 600 tq. i surpassed the rating by 160 tq. I beat the livin **** outta that clucth. Highway run 1 /4 mile too. Hell I was even able to sell it in 2009. And that guy beat on it at the track. for a year. Im guessing ram may be conhuts with this china ****. I cant see a bad *** cluch taking a nose dive like this. I never slip that cluch with 830 to the wheels and 6th gear highway pulls. Somthing is up.... Ram?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
Same here. I race a ton, and wore 2 disc out and they never slipped on the street. 2step at 6500-6600 lots of wheelies, 100's of passes each year. best 60' 1.43

For what they cost, there really good.
When I was 430 rwhp it was great, but when I had 500 rwhp even a brand new one just slipped like crazy. It would slip on the launch, or if I babied it out, would slip starting around 7100 rpm till it hit he limiter.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well the car is going in tomorrow for what is probably its 6 clutch, starting with a ls6, spec 3, spec 3+, ls7, McCleod street twin and now trying a McCleod RXT. I really think that the aftermarket clutches need to be set up properly and that just shimming under the slave is not the answer. Will be looking at either changing the TO bearing to a thinner dimension or maybe having a shim made to go between the bell housing and transmission.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also broke a hub spring in my RAM HDX. But it lasted me 10k miles of powershifting and basically beating the crap out of it. Replaced with a Powergrip, been good for over 12k.

Quick Reply: Never EVER Buy A RAM Clutch!