Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch/pressure plate - Is it normal to be banged up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS7 Clutch/pressure plate - Is it normal to be banged up?

My brother picked up an LS7 clutch for his Z06 and it came in and had some dents and dings. I know this is a popular upgrade and wanted to ask some of you guys if this looks like normal shipping and handling wear or if it is something he should get replaced. BTW, he bought this as brand new.

Here is an excerpt from what he sent to the vendor. The response he got was that this is normal and that after a couple runs it will wear down. We are just curious if this is normal so thanks in advance!!

When I opened the box everything looked rapped up ok but I noticed some dents and chips on the pressure plate and disc. Is that normal, what do you think? Two dents on the PP are raised and could ware the disc unevenly and the chips on the disc are frayed to the point where I could pull them off with my finger.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would send that **** back, if they are so sure it's "normal" they can put it on one of their cars or resell it. I would not install that on my car. Just too much risk to even try it. If the damage occurred during shipping then shouldn't the shipping company cover it? Unless of course it was packaged improperly, or they didn't even insure it. Either way, say that you called GM and sent them pictures and they said it was not normal/safe. Just my two cents, good luck.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run it I see no reason that it would hurt anything

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch/pressure plate - Is it normal to be banged up?