Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW vs. B&M Ripper (F-body T-56 Shifters)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MGW vs. B&M Ripper (F-body T-56 Shifters)

MGW shifters get a lot of hype from their owners, but they've never been available for the F-body...until now. I decided to put one up against my beloved B&M Ripper and see what I came up with.

Here's what comes in the package:

I was impressed that they actually included a small tube of RTV...it is a nice little touch that they didn't have to do. The bolts are grade 10.9 black oxide finish hex head bolts, so they'll probably end up rusting in a hurry, even in my car (garage queen), but I can deal with that. They are plenty long enough to compensate for the rather thick base as well as a washer and lock washer.

And just in case you couldn't tell the intended application, they spell it out for you:

And here's the underside:

As you'll notice in the first pic, the threads for the shifter **** are definitely not 16mm like stock...they are 12mm. This required a new shift ****, so I went with a satin finish gripper piece from them:

And here's a nice little touch:

There is a set screw to ensure that your **** will not come lose under hard shifting. I've had that happen a few times since you usually have to compromise on a tight **** vs. a straight one. In this case, you can tighten the **** as tight as you can get it, tighten the set screw, and then rotate the handle as necessary to get the alignment right where you want it.

Here is the finished handle/**** combo:

Here's my B&M...note the crooked stick to get the **** in a good position for the driver:

And presto...here's the MGW:

I wasn't sure about the rubber boot at first, but sure enough, it'll fit without trimming:

As you'll notice, though, it comes pretty close to coming into contact with the console itself, but it makes no difference. The throws are short enough, even when putting it into reverse, that this never becomes an issue.

And the final product:

I took it for a thorough test drive, and the throws are MUCH shorter than the B&M. When I first backed it out of the garage and went to put it in first, I could have sworn I was putting it in 3rd gear...it was going into 1st though. Basically, 1st gear with the MGW is in about the same spot as 3rd was with the B&M.

It does take some more effort to get it into each gear due to the shorter throws, but not enough to turn me off from shifter. I would have to agree with another assessment on here...driving is smoother due to the shortened throws, even at the expense of more effort needed to get into each gear. I actually really like how nice and solid it feels going into each gear...it has a lot of good driver feedback.

The centering springs work well, and the 2-3 shift is nicer than it ever was with the B&M IMO. I don't have enough confidence to power shift it after only one drive, but I'm hoping to get there to get that data point.

And this shifter has absolutely no noise, but neither did my B&M.

Questions? Fire away, and I'll do my best to keep up.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks damn good.

Any chance that the stick might come lose due to it being "gripped" but the gold part instead of being bolted into place?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I wondered that myself, and will keep an eye on it. My initial inclination is to say no...that stick is held in place pretty damn good, but I won't know until I put some miles on it. It looks like it has many points of failure, but this shifter is solid as a rock.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Just got mine in and its exactlly as you described WOW!!!! I actually had a short stick that I had bought on ebay for my other shifter (hurst) and it fit right in the hole so I did not have to use the 12mm stick that was sent with the MGW, just a liitle input.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

That's good to know, although I really like their shift ****, so I'm not too bummed.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Thats cool it does look good w/ that ****, but I just bought a new **** just before the shifter so i was pretty determined to find a way to make it fit.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Where do you get it from and how much?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Teching In

MGW LTD 199.00 And well worth it.....
Old 08-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yep...they don't even list it on their website, so you need to call. They have pretty long hours, and were very friendly.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any more impressions on it?

I wonder when some sponsers will start to carry it. Im looking to get it in a few months after they come out with the 16mm stick.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Teching In

you can get the stick on ebay, I got mine on there it fit right in there, I thought the same thing but the one I bought was perfect.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats extra cash that I dont have to spend. MGW said that they are going to come out with a 16mm stick after August so I will just wait. Im deployed so in now hurry to get it.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Thats cool, You say you r bieng deployed, be safe..
Old 08-24-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now what we need is a comparison with the 5.0 and the hurst billet. . .
Old 08-29-2008, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Any more impressions on it?

I wonder when some sponsers will start to carry it. Im looking to get it in a few months after they come out with the 16mm stick.
MGW has always sold it's products on their own. I have never seen another company offer their products.

I've owned 4 Mustangs [ no comparison to the T-56 ] but I had a Steeda Tri-Ax and a Pro 5.0 on my first one, then finally a MGW. Every Mustang after my first one got a MGW.

I could make a well worn 5.0 and a 2V chirp third no problem with this shifter. It also felt solid slamming it into gear while rowing the gears unlike other shifters.

I bet this shifter will soon become the go to shifter in the near future
Old 08-29-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually Ive PM'd a few sponsers and one said they are trying to work out a deal to get them in stock. I was given Sept as a timeframe for what its worth. Hopefully they will do a GP soon when the 16MM thread stick comes out.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Launching!

I really like their Gripper **** and how it has the T56 shift pattern on there. I hope they offer one in 16mm thread pitch when they officially have a T56 F-body shifter.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Actually Ive PM'd a few sponsers and one said they are trying to work out a deal to get them in stock. I was given Sept as a timeframe for what its worth. Hopefully they will do a GP soon when the 16MM thread stick comes out.
I think i'm in it for the GP w/ 16mm... Hopefully somebody posts in this thread if it does happen.. i'll subscribe this
Old 09-03-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I just called them up and ordered one myself with a chrome accent on the **** If not for this post I would have went another route. I will post up some reviews as well as soon as I get mine installed.

I am going from a stock shifter and ball **** to this setup so it should be a HUGE improvement.

Here is the pic that made me go with the chrome BTW.

Last edited by bd mnky; 09-03-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

16 mm would be nice... I want to keep my c6 ****...

Quick Reply: MGW vs. B&M Ripper (F-body T-56 Shifters)