Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rattle from trans on deceleration, normal otherwise

Old 12-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rattle from trans on deceleration, normal otherwise

Backstory: had the trans rebuilt at 60k by t56rebuilds, 700ft/lb rating with cryo treatment on the gears. Ls7 clutch installed at that point, never worked quite right and went to a ls1 style monster clutch (level 1 or 2, forgot which) which a fidanza aluminum flywheel in 09 at roughly 85k miles. Worked flawlessly with no issues until recently and I just clicked over 100k.

I have a slight throwout bearing noise going on (whirring with clutch pedal released, goes away when pedal is pressed down) and the sound happening in every gear except for the 1:1 4th gear. No biggie, but in the past few months my transmission has been making a horrible rattling noise when letting it coast off throttle in first, second, and third gear. It's really apparent in second. There isn't any rattling or at least anything noticeable when accelerating or maintaining speed other than the usual gear noises. There isn't any noticeable rattling in fifth or sixth, and once again 4th gear is silent.

There is also a whir/rattle I hear when going forward after having reversed out of my driveway. It's real quick and really only happens with the reverse than first scenario. Leaving in first from a stop light is normal.

Everything else about the transmission works perfectly, no grinding or catches between shift. Full bore redline powershifts are drama free and smooth. I'm in the middle of dropping the trans to replace the throwout and will inspect the clutch but I don't think either are contributing to the rattle.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-06-2011, 02:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok after a lot of googling I'm guessing I have a loose clutch spring. Lot of the typical responses say it's fine to run for awhile but I'd rather err on the side of caution. When I pull the disk and if the springs are screwed up is it something I can take to the local speed/machinery shop and have them replace, or should I just pick up a replacement disk from monster? I'm not about to spend another 1k on a new clutch package not even 20k miles later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle from trans on deceleration, normal otherwise