Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

wtf does my revers grind when i put it into gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wtf does my revers grind when i put it into gear

v6, t5 and i'll have the clutch in, and put it in reverse, and hear a crrrnchhh especially when it's rolling a little. my reverse lights are intermittent to, could it possibly be the reverse light switch?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by firebirddude98
v6, t5 and i'll have the clutch in, and put it in reverse, and hear a crrrnchhh especially when it's rolling a little. my reverse lights are intermittent to, could it possibly be the reverse light switch?
First off dont try to shift to reverse while your rolling, be sure your at a complete stop. I am thinking in my head the fact your rolling is the heart of the problem. Light switch has nothing to do with it.

If it continues to do it, I would guess the brass reverse blocker ring has wear and can no longer "sync" and provide good reverse engagement.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrd1972
First off dont try to shift to reverse while your rolling, be sure your at a complete stop. I am thinking in my head the fact your rolling is the heart of the problem. Light switch has nothing to do with it.

If it continues to do it, I would guess the brass reverse blocker ring has wear and can no longer "sync" and provide good reverse engagement.
My Camaro used to be a V6 5 spd, and it would GRIIIND when I put it into reverse, even when I was fully stopped and the clutch was engaged for several seconds. The synchros were completely shot in the end. Every other gear was fine, but reverse was terrible.

Word of advice, swap in an LS1 and a T56

But really, you'll have to take it to a tranny shop for a rebuild (unless you do the work yourself or know someone else who does).
Old 01-11-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A t5 does not have a synchronized reverse. It is a sliding-idler type reverse. Therefore, if the trans clashes when reverse is selected, it is because the car is moving or the driver did not wait for the clutch to spin down. It can help to select 5th just before reverse to stop some internal rotation( 5th is synchronized).
Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

that makes perfect sense last poster. thank you, now i know to set for a second. and it wouldnt matter if i'm rolling or not, it does it moving backwards to. and i'm rolling just enough to be moving, nothing like 5mph
Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

and ps, i don't trust ANY shop at all around here. i would be better off tearing out my reverse gear than trusting anyone around here to work on it. one jackass shop couldnt even realign my silverado, so if i don't have the tools to do a job, i'll wait and buy em and then do the job

Quick Reply: wtf does my revers grind when i put it into gear