Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anybody worked on a T5 before?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Anybody worked on a T5 before?

Well the car is my 86 T/A 305 5speed. I did a burnout a while back, dropped the clutch in 2nd and grabbed 3rd but when I hit 3rd I missed it or I thought. Once the motor sat down I just eased it into 3rd and tried to go on home and i no longer had 3rd or 4th either. It has basically no resistance from 3rd to 4th. It makes no noise in those gears whatsoever its just like its in neutral. 1st,2nd,5th, and reverse works fine. Is this a common thing on the T5?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably broke the shift fork since it lost 3rd and 4th gears. I've seen plenty of t5's break gears, but it wouldn't be likely that you would lose 3rd and 4th due to a broken gear. 4th gear is actually the input, so if that gear breaks you are going to lose all gears unless you simply broke the engagement teeth where the syncro meshes. But pounding 3rd gear isn't going to break the engagement teeth on 4th...

No resistance would also lead me to believe the fork has broken because without the fork actuating the syncro/slider the only thing you would be moving is the shift rail itself.

Quick Reply: Anybody worked on a T5 before?