Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Texas Drivetrain Performance Reviews Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am taking mine to have him work on my trans/clutch June 15th. Once that is done I will come back with a followup. He was good at responding to my emails and explaining what needs to get done. So far I like what is going on with my encounter.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Z284U2TRY
The customers name is Justin he is out of Richmond Va.
From what I understand the trans is on its way back from tdp and are honoring the 12 month warranty.
Side two?
Side two....
The trans had more than the 1/2 syncro assy bad. Almost every gear and assembly was beginning to wear. That is not a trans problem, that's a clutch or hydraulic not fully engaging. I don't think it was covered under warranty either.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry if I'm coming off a little strong, but a post like below needs to have all the information disclosed and not be one sided.

I have seen a stage 2 trans they did last around 1000 maybe 1500 easy miles not even been to the track. 1-2 syncros went out at the least. The same trans has been at tdp for 3 weeks waiting on parts.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry if I'm coming off a little strong, but a post like below needs to have all the information disclosed and not be one sided.

I have seen a stage 2 trans they did last around 1000 maybe 1500 easy miles not even been to the track. 1-2 syncros went out at the least. The same trans has been at tdp for 3 weeks waiting on parts.
Also, parts are just ridiculous hard to get right now. I believe we have cleaned out every vendor around.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone asks a opinion and I gave it. No reason to get upset.
Did I say something above that was not true?
I believe you more than just the 1-2 sync.
Tell me how it has so much damage with 1000 miles or so? New hydros and ls6 clutch went in with your stage 2 trans build. Almost all of those miles are from when that car was bone stock down to tire.
I can have another dozen members vouch for that if you doubt anything I have said
Do you check with tick for parts?

Justin said you guys would fix it I was like great another stand up trans company that I can suggest people to.

Last edited by Z284U2TRY; 05-11-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Not impressed. Had mine redone by him and didn't ship the bell housing till after. Missing a part. Both of which aren't my concern he did take care of it.

But now my yoke doesn't fit. Fit before. Not now. I've tried 4 yokes to no avail. But its still my problem. Didn't offer a ship back. Nothing. Not impressed. Better hope he builds em right cause the second my truck can move I'm hole shotting this thing at 7000 rpms multiple times. We'll see.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had great customer service with everything I've purchased and contacted TDP about
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CouJoe56
Not impressed. Had mine redone by him and didn't ship the bell housing till after. Missing a part. Both of which aren't my concern he did take care of it.

But now my yoke doesn't fit. Fit before. Not now. I've tried 4 yokes to no avail. But its still my problem. Didn't offer a ship back. Nothing. Not impressed. Better hope he builds em right cause the second my truck can move I'm hole shotting this thing at 7000 rpms multiple times. We'll see.
This is the reason that it states on my website to remove the bellhousing and all other loose items on the trans before its shipped. Normally no one sends us the bell, as there is absolutely no reason to send it. Also the little small part was missing from the get-go, but I went ahead and sent another one via priority mail, no questions asked.
As for the bushing issue, its a new design, maybe its not right, i dont know. But we've never had problems with this before. I dont have any problem making the situation right. **** happens you know.. and its really all about making things right. FWIW, I had two funerals to go to within the last 10 days, so sorry for the delayed shipping.

Jason
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

By the way, thanks everyone for the kinds words!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great guy, always willing to help out and does his best work for every customer. I have dealt with Jason tons of times and wouldn't take my T-56 to no one else. I literally handed him a M6 in a box, completely torn apart and he had it back together in no time.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Hello!

I will also add very good references for Jason , Texas Drivetrain Performance.

I bought from him a built T56 LS1 with accessories, all delivered in condition. I have a 68 camaro so huge work ahead to get it in + time to get it shipped oversea (I am in Europe).
Months later I could finally drove the car with new trans.
Unfortunatly the transmission had an issue : not possible to shift it in 5°.
I noticed the problem to Jason.
He told me he would be somewhere in Europe close (200 miles away) so he managed an appointment at my working place.
We met, I had prepared the trans (out of the car and all) . It was great work together with Jason, he came fully equiped with trans parts, he managed to get the trans repaired! and it costed only a few bucks (transport cost mostly).

This is great service!! as here in Europe it is especially difficult to get trans rebuilt at fair prices. Jason understand what customer service is and will do all he can to satisfy.

Now the trans is shifting superbly in all condition and great in 5° so it is a success and it has been a good repair experience.

Marc, from Belgium
Old 04-09-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought my tdp stage 2 clutch and its been in the car for over a year and im pushing 409rwhp and have no problem with it. drives just like my old ls7 clutch used to
Old 04-10-2014, 04:59 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mvillers
Hello!

I will also add very good references for Jason , Texas Drivetrain Performance.

I bought from him a built T56 LS1 with accessories, all delivered in condition. I have a 68 camaro so huge work ahead to get it in + time to get it shipped oversea (I am in Europe).
Months later I could finally drove the car with new trans.
Unfortunatly the transmission had an issue : not possible to shift it in 5°.
I noticed the problem to Jason.
He told me he would be somewhere in Europe close (200 miles away) so he managed an appointment at my working place.
We met, I had prepared the trans (out of the car and all) . It was great work together with Jason, he came fully equiped with trans parts, he managed to get the trans repaired! and it costed only a few bucks (transport cost mostly).

This is great service!! as here in Europe it is especially difficult to get trans rebuilt at fair prices. Jason understand what customer service is and will do all he can to satisfy.

Now the trans is shifting superbly in all condition and great in 5° so it is a success and it has been a good repair experience.

Marc, from Belgium

Thanks Marc! I'm glad I could help. Was nice meeting you in person.

-Jason
Old 04-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Teching In

I am in the process of having my T56 rebuilt now. I bought my tranny used but didn't have it rebuilt before doing my ls1/t56 swap on my 67 camaro. Did the swap car runs great except for 3rd gear. Decided to pull it and do the level 2 rebuild from TDP. Got the tranny rebuilt and put in the car and it wouldn't go into 2nd at all. Drove it around to see if it got better but had no luck. Jason was cool when I told him what issues i was having. Drove the car up to the shop so a tech could drive it to see for himself what it was doing. He drove it and while he was driving it he told me it was def transmission. Pulled the tranny again and dropped it off and Jason assured me they would get right on it, which they did. Was ready that evening. When I picked it up the story that jason told me was that the shifter could be an issue too (took it with a grain of salt because I had not had issues with 1st or 2nd before I pulled it to be rebuilt). Bought a brand new b&m shifter and put it on when i put the tranny back in the car and am still having issues with 2nd gear. Am currently waiting to hear from Jason so he can drive it that way there is no confusion with what the transmission is doing. I am pleased with the effort about fixing the problem, just not too happy about the results i'm getting. Will let you know how this plays out. Just my 2cents. BTW clutch, flywheel, slave and master cylinder are all new. They have maybe 4k miles since i've finished the swap. Got the transmission back and everything seems to be in good working order now. More details to follow in my own thread.

Last edited by jasony82; 05-02-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: adding comments
Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

The stock GTO shifters are notorious for being sloppy, and I recommend to go aftermarket regardless. When trying to diagnose an issue, its smart to start with the simple things, and go from there. Anyway, the issue is all figured out now and trans is good to go.
It's rare that we ever get a trans back after the build, but nothing is perfect, and it happens. In the rare case that it does happen, we make it right, and that's exactly what we did here.
I hope you and everyone else can appreciate this.
I see it day after day when customers get jerked around and screwed over by other others. For example, getting charged $2500-3500 for a stock build, then it has issues. We end up having to do the job right because the original shop won't warranty it. I see this all the time. When it comes to customer service, its all about how you make things right when they go wrong.

Originally Posted by jasony82
I am in the process of having my T56 rebuilt now. I bought my tranny used but didn't have it rebuilt before doing my ls1/t56 swap on my 67 camaro. Did the swap car runs great except for 3rd gear. Decided to pull it and do the level 2 rebuild from TDP. Got the tranny rebuilt and put in the car and it wouldn't go into 2nd at all. Drove it around to see if it got better but had no luck. Jason was cool when I told him what issues i was having. Drove the car up to the shop so a tech could drive it to see for himself what it was doing. He drove it and while he was driving it he told me it was def transmission. Pulled the tranny again and dropped it off and Jason assured me they would get right on it, which they did. Was ready that evening. When I picked it up the story that jason told me was that the shifter could be an issue too (took it with a grain of salt because I had not had issues with 1st or 2nd before I pulled it to be rebuilt). Bought a brand new b&m shifter and put it on when i put the tranny back in the car and am still having issues with 2nd gear. Am currently waiting to hear from Jason so he can drive it that way there is no confusion with what the transmission is doing. I am pleased with the effort about fixing the problem, just not too happy about the results i'm getting. Will let you know how this plays out. Just my 2cents. BTW clutch, flywheel, slave and master cylinder are all new. They have maybe 4k miles since i've finished the swap. Got the transmission back and everything seems to be in good working order now. More details to follow in my own thread.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had a Stage 2 build done on my T56 by Jason and his shop.

My transmission got mangled by a previous local shop, broken keys, chipped gears. Just almost complete and total catastrophic failure with less than 600 miles on it and no high revs, track time etc. I told Jason what the issue was and after I got my car back, I shipped the transmission down to him. From doorstep to doorstep, Jason had it done in a hair over a week.

Jason is the quintessential model for customer service. He doesn't always answer the calls or emails right away but the man is busy. His shop is constantly moving product. That didn't bother me in the least because I knew that my transmission was in good hands, and when it was ready, it would be on its way back.

I put my transmission back in the car today. The previous shop mangled something in the 3/4 assembly so when I shifted, it would grind, 4th gear was basically unusable. But now, after Jason worked his magic. All gears are smooth. Downshifting is easy but firm. The transmission just feels "tighter" than it used to. Feels newer and more assertive.

If anyone needs any T56 service, I would say, without hesitation, Jason and the guys at Texas Drivetrain Performance are your absolute best and only bet. The price is right, they look at everything and advise you what needs to be done and what doesn't need to be done, they are up front and just genuinely nice people.

The shop that "rebuilt" the transmission before Jason got it didn't give me all the parts back and Jason even offered to find the part for me when I emailed him about it. Talk about going above and beyond.

TDP is the ONLY place to go.

Jason, thanks for rescuing my T56.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to find this thread as it's time for me to have my trans built. After looking a a number of venders and or builders I think after I talk to TDP I have found my builder for my trans. The prices seem to be extremely reasonable and the customer service to boot I must say I'm damn near convinced he's the way to go.

Thanks for the reviews guys.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did shipping roughly cost you guys?
What did you ship it in or how?
What shipper is usually the cheapest?
Old 03-20-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
What did shipping roughly cost you guys?
What did you ship it in or how?
What shipper is usually the cheapest?
^^^This^^^

I'd really like to know this same thing.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Teching In

My t56 is currently at TDP! Jason has answered all my questions Great guy to deal with. He also custom made and 26 spline input shaft for my friends 03 cobra!! I shipped my tranny in a 50 gallon walmart bucket lol zip tied the lid and it cost me around 90 from El Paso, Tx.

Quick Reply: Texas Drivetrain Performance Reviews Wanted