Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problems after reinstalling my built T-56

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems after reinstalling my built T-56

Well, I had my T56 out of my 1995 Trans Am. When I got it back in the car I had some odd problems. After a few pushes of the clutch pedal it would become hard. I figured that I didn't align the slave right(lt1) so I took it off and found the clutch fork had popped out of place. I put it back and reassembled everything and it felt a little better for a little while only to have the same thing happen. I took it apart again and thought I had fixed it. When I went for a test drive the clutch was slipping like crazy and then the hydraulics failed again and I couldnt put it in a gear. So I turned it off and started the car in first and limped it back.

Any clue what would cause this?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

If it's hard it's possible the fluid can't flow back up to the reservoir. This can be due to the master being held pushed in.

To what torque rating did you tighten the pressure plate bolts?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Teching In

I didn't remove the clutch, only the transmission.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Well, we just pulled the transmission again and we haven't quite solved it yet. We thought it was the spring on the fork so we did our best to tighten that, but to no avail. There seems to be play in the throw out bearing but we don't know if that necessarily means that it's bad. It may be well within the expected tolerances. Tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1IqbZeMrvg
Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Teching In

No one knows if that's bad or not???
Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Jeremy from Spec saw the video and says that the bearing is fine. He thinks we may have had the orientation of the bearing wrong. If that's not it then my fork may need to be replaced.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:30 PM
FormerVendor

As mentioned you can think of the bearing as a baseball diamond. The bearing needs to be oriented so that the fork is contacting/pulling on the Home Plate and Second Base locations. If the fork is pulling on the "baseline" sides then it will popout. Some movement is normal, and the video provided doesn't appear to evidence extreme amounts of movement. All this being said, do you know if the bearing was aligned in the way I mentioned? If you wish to order a new bearing give me a call and I will be happy to help you with one. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 AM
Teching In

Thanks, man. I don't think I had it angled incorrectly, but it's possible. I have a new fork, pivot and bolt on their way just in case. Hopefully this will be the end of my problems. My pivot on my tranny is pretty worn so it can only improve things.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Teching In

I replaced the clutch fork, pivot, and screw and it worked perfectly. So I'd say that was the issue.

Quick Reply: Problems after reinstalling my built T-56