Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

"F" the GM Slave Cylinder!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default "F" the GM Slave Cylinder!

Alright guys, story goes as follows...bought an LS7 Clutch kit about a year and a half ago, along with a new GM Slave and a Ticks Performance MC and I noticed one day that my clutches friction zone had changed, gone further to the floor and was like wth? So, I pulled the SS back into the garage, popped the hood and checked my reservoir...bone dry! Needless to say, I don't cut corners and put all the best parts in my SS so I was annoyed. I did not see any drips or anything under the car so figured I'd investigate. Jacked the car up to find my bellhousing soaked. My slaves seal was destroyed...so I'm looking at an aftermarket slave any thoughts?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd put another GM one in over any aftermarket one. Have you pulled the trans out yet to make sure that its the slave seal? I had one before that the bleeder was loose and leaking
Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Well I'm going to further my investigation tomorrow after work. I'll check the bleeder first before I check the slave. I never figured in a million years it could be the bleeder but if you said its happened to you before, well than...it won't hurt to check there first. And if it is the bleeder, that would be nice cuz it would save me from dropping my tranny. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep you up to date.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt use anything but a GM slave. Ive had every other kind fail after a few miles (usually 3-4months). Never had a GM slave go bad yet (but I also replace mine everytime I do a NEW clutch).
Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Well, I'm going to see if its the bleeder. I have the speedo bleeder from Ticks on there but, its possible it may be loose. If it is, I'm removing the speedo bleeder and just putting the stocker in. If not, then looks like I'm pulling the tranny and doing exploratory surgery. Lol
Old 03-02-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mechanic suggested to me the C5 Z06 slave cylinder. He previously owned a 6 speed fbody and his opinions are always taken seriously by me. My clutch pedal SUCKED before I swapped it out for the Z06 slave PN89059282. I'm not sure what needed to be done to get this slave to work on my fbody, but I can tell you it wasn't anything too crazy. Think I paid around $300-350 for parts+labor. Good luck man.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Alright, so I found the leak I believe. I think it was from the bottom of the Tick Master Cylinder...wasn't fully wrench tight and had a wet area under it. As well, checked the bleeder by just doing a finger check cuz its tight to get in there without dropping the tranny. Bleeder was dry. So, I filled up the Clutch reservoir, bled it and checked for leaks again but found none...so I decided to take a 30 mins drive. It shifted like butter and had no issues at all. Once I got home, jacked it up again and had no new signs of wetness. However, I didn't notice this before,but my wetness also went further up towards my oil pan and also the sides of it near the starter. I'm thinking rear main seal potentially, since clutch seems fine now? Any thoughts? FML if it is...lol
Old 03-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Checked the oil level and the clutch reservoir today, looked good. Took it out again today, drove like a dream. Idk...may just pull the tranny one day and fond the culprit but in the meantime, I'm just going to check my fluids and cruise when its nice out.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 SS HUGG
Checked the oil level and the clutch reservoir today, looked good. Took it out again today, drove like a dream. Idk...may just pull the tranny one day and fond the culprit but in the meantime, I'm just going to check my fluids and cruise when its nice out.
Hey I have to ask, I was casually lookin through the forums, saw your topic. Read through.. Glad you got it figured out, but how do you like the Tick MC? I took my car to the track and I must say, I CANT STAND the stock MC, I hate the pedal sticking to the floor. Seen a lot of good reviews on Ticks website. Your shifts quicker? Worth the near $400? Thanks in advance
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2000NemeSS

You won't find anyone who says the Tick MC isn't worth it. I havn't seen a negative review on it in over 2 years ive been on here.

Quick Reply: "F" the GM Slave Cylinder!